Can I paint direct on to plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

Re-jigging a room for a new bathroom.

The ceiling is okay but it's a bit of a mess. I can either clad it out with T&G and paint it or plasterboard straight over.

My problem, is that I will not physically be able to plaster a ceiling
(20 sq m). Can't afford a plasterer.

MY QUESTION

If I were to UPVA (5 in 1) the paintable side of the plasterboard - and then give it three coats of bathroom emulsion do you think that will take regular steam/moisture?

I will be installing a "humidistat ceiling fan".

There will be a basin, shower, bath & WC in the bathroom.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
So I'm assuming that the plastreboard ceiling that is okay but a bit of a mess?:confused:
Has been joint taped. and never previously painted?
If that is so, remove any dirt, dust, grease from the board.
Then it will need to be primed prior to painting, with either dry-lining primer or a dilute emulsion piant of 10% water.
Then two or three coats of an antimold bathroom paint, this will prevent mold spores, but if area is well ventilated should not be an issue.

PVA is water soluble, so not a good idea in bathrooms. (Don't be tempted to use it under tiles.)

It is perfectly OK to paint plasterboard. As PBD indicated, a little extra water in a first coat of emulsion prevents it drying too quickly on the absorbent surface. Drywall primer is also a very thin paint. Neither is likely to resist extreme amounts of steam but might be OK with a humidistat fan.

Gyproc do a sealer and recommend 2 coats on non-MR plasterboard in bathrooms.

For similar reasons to yours, I've just lined my enlarged bathroom ceiling with moisture resistant (MR) plasterboard.

BTW you shouldn't use ordinary plasterboard for shower walls - even with sealer. MR is OK though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back