Not used WP plasterboard above shower - how bad is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Now adding a shower into what was going to be a just downstairs cloakroom, but ceiling is already up using regular, not water resistant, plasterboard. As studding is all now in underneath, it would be a major PITA to rip it down and replace it as none of the new edges would be on exsisting joists / battons etc.

If it is just plastered over and painted will it bo ok, how many builders really put WP plasterboard up on bathroom ceilings?

I have added an extractor fan in wall aboove shower cubicle to try to draw the steam from the shower to the outside, and shower cubicle walls will be aquaboard, and rest of walls regular plaster over blockwork and wp plasterboard.

Thanks

Ants

Sponsored Links
If it is just plastered over and painted will it bo ok,
It should be OK if plastered, just use a decent bathroom ceiling paint to keep any mould growth at bay.

how many builders really put WP plasterboard up on bathroom ceilings?
Not many I should think especially as you have to prime it before you can plaster it; I’d still use it if there was none already up there though.

I have added an extractor fan in wall aboove shower cubicle to try to draw the steam from the shower to the outside, and shower cubicle walls will be aquaboard, and rest of walls regular plaster over blockwork and wp plasterboard.
Does the fan extract through an external wall ? If not there is little point in sucking it out of the shower enclosure & dumping it the bathroom. An extract fan is also a Building Regs. requirement on new & major refurbishments now; I also trust it’s correctly zone rated, has been installed under Part P & you have a certificate of compliance for it?

Does the fan extract through an external wall ? If not there is little point in sucking it out of the shower enclosure & dumping it the bathroom. An extract fan is also a Building Regs. requirement on new & major refurbishments now; I also trust it’s correctly zone rated, has been installed under Part P & you have a certificate of compliance for it?

Yes its an external wall so going straight outside. Yes it is an ELV extractor unit, approved for zone 1 use, and yes I am doing all the electrics in the extention under BC notification, they have an approved contractor come in and sign off my first and second fixes which includes the extractor.

Thanks

Ants

Sponsored Links
Yes its an external wall so going straight outside. Yes it is an ELV extractor unit, approved for zone 1 use, and yes I am doing all the electrics in the extention under BC notification, they have an approved contractor come in and sign off my first and second fixes which includes the extractor.
Good man. You seem to be one of the few who have managed to get them to follow the rules; many flatly refuse to get in involved, including mine! :rolleyes:

Just make sure you use some decent stuff for that tiling. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back