Blocking Up Doorway: Paramount

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Hoping to crack on this weekend with this job, but could do with a bit of advice please.

I have a wall made of Paramount separating the bathroom from the landing.

On the landing side has been added another layer of plasterboard up against the Paramount. The total thickness of the partition including skim is 80mm.

In this wall are two openings, one which we have uncovered and want to reinstate as a doorway & the other (the existing doorway) I want to board off.

I am planning to use 75x47 to build a stud frame to fit the unwanted gap, but I will fit the timber the other way round, if you like, making the partition 47+12.5+12.5 = 72mm. The difference will be plastered.

BUT, on the other side of this board, in the bathroom, will go a 900 x 900 quadrant shower cubicle. Should the board on the other side be aquaboard or similar?

If so, that leaves another dilemma. The other wall forming the inside of the shower cubicle is also Paramount. I cannot remove this to replace it with aquaboard, but I could clad the existing wall with it.

Can you tell me what is best practice please?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd go with cladding the wall with the aquapanel, as your putting a shower in. then tank this wall afterwards. Better to be safe than sorry. ;) ;)

OK. So, would you clad one side (the side being blocked up) with aquaboard instead of plasterboard then clad the other side (Paramount) with aquaboard or would you put plasterboard up then clad both sides?

Do you mean "tank" as in what they do to cellars? :eek:

There's not going to be much space left inside the shower cubicle... ;)

Sponsored Links
You only really need the side where the shower is going to be , to be clad with the aquaboard. Other side doesn't really matter.
Where the doorway is, your suggestion re framing it out and plasterboarding and plastering seems fine.
Never used the Dunlop stuff, but from the reviews , seems to be fairly good stuff. ;) ;)

You only really need the side where the shower is going to be , to be clad with the aquaboard. Other side doesn't really matter.
Where the doorway is, your suggestion re framing it out and plasterboarding and plastering seems fine.
Never used the Dunlop stuff, but from the reviews , seems to be fairly good stuff. ;) ;)

Thanks again, JJ. When I say "side", I mean both sides of the right angle in the corner where the cubicle is to be sited. I'm aware there's no need to aquaboard the other side of the partition, if that's what you're referring to.

I'll get some piccies up soon.

We all love piccies. ;)

Here you are:

Outside the bathroom. The old doorway is on the left. The current on the right. The RH one is being blocked off and the LH reinstated.

OutsideBathroom-1.jpg

Inside:

InsideBathroom-1.jpg

The new shower cubicle is going in the corner where the current door will be blocked up.

InsidebathroomShowerLocation-1.jpg

As far as sealing up the shower cubicle to guard against leaking, aside from tanking, is there anything else I can do?

Have a look at Shower Wall Panels rather than aquapanel, my reason for this is, no need to decorate it or tiles problem also black moulds, easy to keep clean, I have shower wall panels, still looked brand new after 15 yrs! You could just wall panels the shower area or the 1 side wall or the whole room! many choices of colour with a warmer feeling

A lot of people do not know this but tiles & grout are not waterproof, however it's important to do the preparation behind the tiles correctly, I just feel wall panels is a piece of mind ;)

Plenty of info out there, maybe start looking at tiling forums regarding tiles grout are not waterproof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back