Can I paint directly onto lining paper in a kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Have just wallpapered our kitchen with lining paper and wanted your help as to whether I can just paint straight over with modern emulsion or whether I should dilute the first coat with water.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would dilute your first coat by about 10 % there is no need for a mist coat as such on lining paper but the first coat will grab a bit. second coat can be normal.

Thanks Robbie, thought as much but always good to doublecheck these things!! :D

Sponsored Links
You dilute to account for the level of suction on new plaster. Not doing so on plaster causes the paint to sit on the surface and soak (slightly) into the wall- this is why when you reroll the paint comes back off.

This is not an issue with paper and so you dont have to thin it first. There are times though when it will help- especially with high sheen water based paints or the thicker ultra durable emulsions.

also water is cheaper than paint :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back