Can I plant a hedge against a wall?

R

roberta1000

I've a wall (not mine) around my garden which isn't very pretty - common brick, 1m high, single brick thickness with piers. I'm thinking of planting a hedge along part of it to hide it. Would a privet hedge planted right up to it (say 30cm away or so) and allowed to grow to say 1.5m high and 30cm wide or so cause it any damage? I don't want the wall to crack or fall over of course. Ground is clay.

I already have a leylandii hedge (ugh!) about 2.5m high planted along part of the wall and about 60cm away from it which doesn't seem to have done any damage, but I don't know whether privet would be different.

Sponsored Links
I don't think a privet hedge would do any harm to the wall, if its planted a good distance away from it as you said. It will certainly be nicer to look at than a old wall.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have a similar problem, but a different solution. My wall is more like 1.5m high.

I'm growing ivy and other climbers up my wall. This should encourage wildlife, which I'm a big fan of.

Other suggestions include:
*espallier fruit trees on dwarf stocks, grown against the wall. You could try roses as well. This is a common solution, which as far as I know shouldn't damage the wall.
* wall baskets on the wall.

hth

Niall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back