Can I put my new boiler on the 1st floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am converting one of the bedrooms in a bathroom, this is on the 1ST floor.
I am putting central heating in aswell.

CAN I PUT THE COMBI BOILER ON THE FIRST FLOOR.

What will it effect?????

What boiler do I need to buy to heat up a average 4 bedroom house

Thanks

John de Beer

Sponsored Links
Yes you can......but keep it out of the bathroom, if installed in a bathroom it should be in a ventillated cupboard.

Hi,

It will have to go into the bathroom,

if I build a sealed cupboard( to prevent moist from bathroom, but still accessable),, ventilated via a hole to the outside will it be enough,

what combi boiler will I need to buy to heat a 4 bedroom house?

thanks

john

You can seal the cupboard inside, and you should refer to the installation manual for the correct size ventilation holes to the outside.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advise.

Maybe this is not such a clever question, but how will it affect the water pressure for the central heating system and the (kictchen, W/C)downstairs, IF I place the boiler on the first floor.

IS it correct to assume that it does not matter where I place the boiler in the house, as long as there is ventilation to the outside.?

thanks
john

Quite right. The location of the boiler has no impact on the pressure of the system. The pump curculates hot water round the heating system, the pressure is provided by the mains.

j.debeer said:
thanks for the advise.

Maybe this is not such a clever question, but how will it affect the water pressure for the central heating system and the (kictchen, W/C)downstairs, IF I place the boiler on the first floor.

IS it correct to assume that it does not matter where I place the boiler in the house, as long as there is ventilation to the outside.?

thanks
john

Firstly, are you doing the gas work yourself? If so, I highly suggest you re-think your plan, as not knowing the ventilation requirements can be, literally, fatal. Doing it yourself, and not knowing the ventilation requirements indicates that you are, to use one of my "stock joke lines", a bodger and should stay away. ;)

If you are not doing the gas work, or not doing any work at all, the gas fitter who installs the boiler should know and inform you of the requirements.

Quite right. The location of the boiler has no impact on the pressure of the system. The pump curculates hot water round the heating system, the pressure is provided by the mains.
This sounds inaccurate. The only useful pressure provided by the mains is to fill the system. The pump only circulates water, and by definition whatever amount is pumped up, there is an equal amount dragged down by gravity on the opposite side of the circuit - i.e. balancing out. The height of a pump is irrelevant.

Plumber Will said it must be in a ventilated cupbord,,I was not revering to the outlet of the boiler , that acts as an exhaust and the fumes needs to go outside!

I thought he was talking about ventilating the cupboard in which the boiler is installed.

I will do all the work myself, but will get British Gas to change the gas pipe to the new boiler and connect it up.

I am now still not sure whether it is a good thing to place the boiler on the 1st floor.

Why shouldn't you put it on the first floor? the pump will be doing the exact same job as if it were on the ground floor - it's only circulating water. You could get away with installing it in the loft if you fancied it.

A class "C" boiler, which your new combi will almost certainly be, can be installed anywhere, subject to the usual flueing requirements. For instance you could install it in a bedroom wardrobe if that strikes you as a sensible place to put it.

What you should think about is placing it as close as possible to the point of demand for hot water, else you will find adjustments to the hot water tap frustratingly slow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back