Can I put this under my Patio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Got the bulk of my patio laid last year and just have the area by the shed to do now.

My question is - when doing the main area I went a bit wrong and pulled all the slabs up and the bedding mix and started again.

Can I put the old bedding mix under the area that I still have to lay rather than just throwing it away?

Thanks,

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mike

Some people level up soil and throw slabs straight down but it isn't the best way.

I would say usually sand and gravel would be used with a plastic membrane to stop weeds, then slabs on top with blobs of cement under to level up and then point up between slabs (this is the way I have done it in the past but it might not be the best method)

You can throw whatever you want under the ground, dig a hole and fill with rubble if needed so long as the slabs are solid and level for when the shed is placed on them.

To be honest a lot of sheds will have what they call hardcore under them - usually broken up bits of bricks and stuff, some use dolomite and compact it down with a whacker.

Placing the bits of broken cement wont be a bad thing but I would say how good is the soil?

I ask because if you ever want to use it again as garden for plants - you would have to dig out and clean up all the broken concrete, think also of anyone who might buy the house at a later date.

If the soil/garden area is really good quality I might bag up the concrete bits and skip them - If the soil is bad quality dig a hold and throw them in then level it up.

That's my input - I am sure others will think a lot different.

Let us know how you get on.

What WAS the bedding mix? If it was a sand/cement mortar bed (the ONLY good way of laying, IMHO) then by all means break it up and whack it down. What you seek is a material that will have a good mix of small, medium and large particles. Crushed hardcore, for example, does not have the finer dust that you need to make a binding layer.

While I am here, avoid using 5 blobs etc as described cos it'll go wrong. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon. Plenty of posts on here about how to lay slabs.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the replies - yes it was a solid mortar mix. I laid this but then started to go a bit off line so pulled it all up, came up in large chnks but I thought that rather than hiring a skip I could just smash it up under the bit I still have to lay. BTW, the shed is already there, this is for the patio in front of the shed.

Thanks again, sounds like I can use it!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back