Can I re-use this choc block to add a power socket in my loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm boarding my loft, raising the floor. As the floor is going over an old disused aerial booster, I disconnected it first. I had assumed it was somehow spliced into the lighting circuit, but through trial & error at the breaker box I found it was actually using the "downstairs sockets" circuit.

I already planned to add a socket above the floor for convenience, and had intended to tackle this at a later date, but I'm now wondering if I can re-use this somehow and connect a socket before I board over it. I'm not sure why it's a 4-core wire though (I'm no electrician).

Your thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
That would seem to be the wiring for interlinked smoke alarms. normally they are powered from a lighting circuit.

If the power goes off when you switch off a sockets circuit, then the old alarm circuit may bE powered via an FCU.
The FCU May have too low a fuse to power anything other than a very low-powered device.

That makes sense, as the house used to have interlinked smoke alarms, but they were replaced with battery-powered a few years back. I also remember the old fuse board had a circuit labelled "lights & smokes" but it was replaced last year when we had an extension built with a more modern consumer unit, and the sparky labelled everything afresh. I'm now wondering how accurate the labels are!

So, in short, I don't want to be spurring a socket off this 3&E cable?

The cables there seem to be only 1.5mm² so it’s the wiring for the smokes.

probsbly it will only have a low amp fuse somewhere. Unless you can determine exactly where the power comes from then you shouldn’t use this circuit for anything but it’s original purpose.

what’s your plan B?

Sponsored Links
For now, if I can't take advantage of this newly discovered and convenient connector, I'll just carry on boarding the rest of the loft and tackle the addition of a socket later.

The eventual plan, I guess, would be to either spur off the upstairs ring main, or run a new feed from the CU. For either of which I'll most likely employ the services of a qualified electrician.

Last edited:
Something like this? Forgive my ignorance, but how's that different to what's already there, besides the casing? Or is a maintenance free junction box something else? I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

Excellent, thank you. A bit of amateur Googling turned up this just before you replied, which I think is the same thing. It seems J804 is the key bit for 3&E, am I right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back