Can I rebuild old garage without planning permission or building regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lived in my house for 9 years and when I moved in there was a very old but large garage at the end of the garden that was falling to bits so I took it down and planned to rebuild it in the future. I would now like to rebuild the garage but was wondering would I need planning permission and building control if I am just replacing a building that was there before? My neighbours have said they are happy to provide statement that there was a garage there before.

The building would be about 40m2 internally. Photos of site included.

Attachments

• 0f8ed295-2207-4114-a984-7c201909cd49.JPG
    0f8ed295-2207-4114-a984-7c201909cd49.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links
If you're in London you could build a tower block with full approval from Mr Khant.

no expert here
because its removed i think you cannot replace to old standards
you may iff they accept be able to replace to the size as is then but modern standards applicable now this may include extra restriction applicable now to a building that size ?? but fully a guess

The fact that there was a garage there before is completely irrelevant, in terms of planning law, once a building is demolished it no longer exists so anything built in it's place has to meet the criteria for permitted development or requires planning permission.

Outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

• No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
  • Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms (a platform must not exceed 0.3 metres in height)
  • No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
  • In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from the house to be limited to 10 square metres.
  • On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
  • Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.
*The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.

*Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.

So if you wanted to build anything not in accordance with the above (eg 5m tall) then you would need planning permission.

At 40m2 it would also be subject to Building Regulations Approval. https://www.planningportal.co.uk/pe...egulations-approval-needed-for-an-outbuilding

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd stick to 30m to avoid building regs with all those trees around etc. I tried to go down that route but they wanted some insane foundations due to the proximity of trees in neighbours gardens combined with clay soil, came to around 30k going into the ground! current building hasn't moved or fallen down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back