Can I remove cooker hood and have extractor fan installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very noisy cooker hood which I don't like to use at it shakes and is very noisy even on setting one. Also the duct pipe has a long run which goes around a corner so I don't know how much extraction it actually does. When I am doing a lot of cooking I usually open the window or back door to let out smell and steam. Is it within regs if I have a good extractor fan installed in the wall. That is if I have to have a fan due to regs otherwise is it OK just to open the window or door.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Why don’t you get a better cooker hood? At least that is removing the steam from cooking close to the source rather than removing the general moist air you’ve created by not having a hood. I think regs do allow just an extractor fan. Not sure on the cubic meter air removal though. Plus, if you are retro fitting, how would regs find out?

thanks pilsbury, I have considered getting a better hood. I was just looking at different options hence the reason I asked the question. With regards to regs, I had a extension done on the house, as everything is not complete I am still waiting to get it all approved. Thanks for the feedback.

I’m pretty sure regs don’t specify a cooker hood as such, just suitable extraction. There is a figure for different rooms. But I would be getting a decent hood.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can locate the extractor away from the cooker. Reg's ask that the fan be of a certain extraction rating, usually greater than that of the extractor located directly over the cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back