Extractor fan for cooker hood going into conservatory

The BR’s haven’t changed since 2004 that states ducting into another room is considered acceptable.

You are using language in a most peculiar way. To clarify, what does the "that" refer to?
Do you mean
a) the building regs of 2004 state that ducting into another room is acceptable, and there has been no change since?
or
b) there has been no change since 2004 such as to make ducting into another room acceptable?

Do you mean the "BRs that state" or "changes since 2004 that state" ?

Sponsored Links
In your example, b).

It was not accepted before 2004 and is not accepted post 2004. The BR’s have not changed.

The conservatory and ducting in the OP’s case was there when he moved in back in 2004. If there were no issues with the setup then, there shouldn’t be any issues now. That coupled with the fact the conservatory was probably exempt helps enforce that. An extension under BR control would have checked and made sure the ducting complied and discharged to external air.

You're probably right on both points, but could you explain why I'm wrong on part F and it doesn't apply?
Part F applies to new builds or extensions, not kitchen alterations or fan installations.

So in this context at sale time, there is no contravention of any regulation, so the appropriate thing to do is report it as not conforming to accepted standards such as BS 5250 or suchlike.

Sponsored Links
Just thought I'd add a comment, I'm a BCO of 38 years, mechanical extract fans have always been required to be ducted externally and i'm going to back to the '76 Regs. The conservatory is most likely an exempt building and so was probably built over the existing outlet without the benefit of any B Regs.

giphy.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back