Regulations regarding cooker hoods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having a new kitchen fitted, and the 90cm range cooker is going underneath the chimney recess. I've read bad things about ducting an extractor hood up the chimney and we're on a budget.

Do I need to have a cooker hood at all? We never use the one we've got at the moment (a recirculating one).

I've considered a recirculating hood but it would need to be built in to the chimney housing (the chimney has been stopped halfway down the wall and slopes away, so we are having it built out a bit - just with mdf - to make it look like a chimney again, so the inside of the new "chimney" will be MDF). If air from a recirculating hood comes through the bottom and blows out of the top, where would it go if it were built in to the wooden chimney?

I'm quite confused and would rather not bother to be honest! But I don't know if it's against regulations?

Sponsored Links
The pro's in having a hood is that the mechanical extract fan can be combined within the hood and thus only needing to provide min. extract rate of 30 litres per second. Anywhere else in the kitchen, you're required to provide fan capable of extracting min. 60 litres per second.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back