Can I remove he screed from a block & beam floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen floor is a block & beam floor built in 1989. I would ideally like to install underfloor heating (UFH),and I was wondering whether I could:

1. Lift the screed base
2. Install insulation boards
3. Install UFH pipes
4. Tile

This would mean the floor height would still be around the height of the remainder of the house.

Any thoughts/opinions gratefully received

Sponsored Links
How do you know that the existing screed is deep enough to accommodate insulation boards etc.

Ideally you will need 75mm of cover on top of the inso' boards. That would mean that the screed at present is over 100mm deep.

I guess I need to see how deep it is by doing a test site.

How easy is it to remove the screed, is like sh*t to a blanket, or does it crumble after a small amount if abuse?

Typical floor screed will come apart reasonably easily once you have found a way in.

Use a breaker with a broad bolster chisel blade to avoid damaging the beams and blocks.

Sponsored Links
Typical floor screed will come apart reasonably easily once you have found a way in.

Use a breaker with a broad bolster chisel blade to avoid damaging the beams and blocks.

For-bye, any damaged blocks can easily be replaced...pinenot

Okay, say the screen works out to be 50mm deep, and I removed this.

If I buy top spec insulation board, and add UFH on top, do I need to add a screed layer ontop of that before the tiles, or is there a better way (considering I don't want it to be too deep). Is there a production where you put down a board that you can thread the UFH pipes in, and then place the tiles directly on top?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back