Can I remove this post, or is it holding stairs up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would really like to remove this post, but is it structural? I don't want to risk the ceiling or stairs falling down :eek: IMG_20220312_135345435.jpg IMG_20220312_135345435.jpg IMG_20220312_135542481.jpg IMG_20220312_135332278.jpg IMG_20220312_135300259.jpg IMG_20220312_135253560.jpg

I have posted from below and above...

Sponsored Links
Partly based on the style (age) of the building I think it could well be structural, but to find out I think you'd have to take a look inside the ceiling beneath the stairs next to it to see how well the half landing is fixed to the wall. It certainly wouldn't have had a turned post like that originally - there would more than likely have been a stud wall instead which may well have (partially) supported the half landing. The problem with this sort of structure is that even if the stud walls don't start out as structural they can end up carrying part of the load as the building settles, etc over many years

Of course you could always stick an Acrow prop under there, cut out the post, and then take the pressure off the prop (screw to the underside of the stair first, not the floor, leaving 10mm of slack on the thead). If it doesn't move over the course of a few weeks then you probably don't need that turned prop. If it does move, you push it back up and replace the prop

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks JobAndKnock, Yes, there was a stud wall there originally, as next door have a small hall there. I was hoping that I could remove it before the carpet goes down on tues, I have been trying to convince hubby to take it out, but he is not keen. I think it looks l may have to leave it, which is a nuisance as it means it juts up against where the bed will go.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back