Can I Remove Wall Thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our gas boiler for the hot water and heating currently has a timer control unit beside it and a thermostat in the hall - none of the radiators had TRV's fitted, but we're about to fit to them all.

Question? Can I remove the wall mounted thermostat in the hall and, if so, there's obviously some kind of connection back to the boiler from this apart from the power connections to the thermostat; what happens to this connection if the stat can be removed?

TIA

Sponsored Links
I would always keep the stat on most ch systems, as it's the best way of controlling overall temp and saving money by turning the boiler off when house up to temp.

The TRVs are good at controlling individual room temps, but they won't shut the boiler off. Don't put a TRV on the rad(s) in the hall, as the TRVs and stat would conflict with each other. If the stat is old, you could poss update it to something more efficient.

So you want to make your system harder to control and less energy efficient? Interesting.

IMO you save more money turning the room stat down a degree or two than you would with TRVs fitted.

if you don't have a thermostat, then, subject to the timer, you boiler will keep firing up for short periods even when your home is warm. This is inefficient and wasteful of gas.

Get a new programmable room stat, which will allow you to set your preferred temperatures for different days of the week and times of day, if you wish, and will give you improved comfort and economy.

Sponsored Links
You are required by law (Building Regs Part L) to provide a means to stop the boiler cycling and wasting energy.

That doesn't have to be by means of a room thermostat but it's the usual and simplest method.

Programmable thermostats are wonderful. Set to about 15C over night and the house is never actually cold ... some have a holiday function so will keep the house on set-back for x days and then return to normal on the day of returning home.

Personally I hate TRVs.

Thanks, guys, I thought I had email alerts on for thread replies, but obviously not.... I'll be leaving the stat on then. :D

There's some nice LCD stats on eBay, but they all seem to come with timer controls as well. Does anyone know if I could use one of these as a replacement stat but disable the timer function?

eBay stat

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
why do you want to disable the timer?

A programmable stat maximises comfort and economy.

Cheap Shyte.

Get a DT90e from Honeywell.

I'll have a look at it, thanks....

why do you want to disable the timer?

A programmable stat maximises comfort and economy.

...because we already have a timer beside the boiler, which is a long way from the hall stat. I'm guessing there's nothing to control a timer function from the wiring available behind the stat....... or is there?

Most programmable stats are battery powered, with a relay to switch the boiler and motorised valves if applicable.

you use the more advanced timer in the programmable stat, after which the old timer is no longer required, so you set it to continuous "on"

Thanks, guys, I'll go for a new item with timer in that case, as the current timer is in the most unbelievable, inaccessible position you could imagine!

Most helpful, thanks again..... :D

if you have a hot water cylinder, you may still need a timer for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back