Can I replace unswitched single socket with switched?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been replacing our sockets and cooker switches in the kitchen I've only the fridge freezer one left to do and bought this 13amp socket

Screenshot_20220524_153025.jpg

Only problem is the fridge socket doesn't have a switch. It has a fuse with switch further up.

Can I put the single socket in and leave it switched on? Or will I have to get a unswitched single socket, which are bloody expensive

bg-nexus-metal-brushed-steel-13a-unswitched-socket-nbsussw_17699_1_large.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A switch is just that, so you can leave a switched socket on, and benefit from being able to turn it off at a convenient location.

Blup

Well it's the fridge/freezer so it's never really going to be turned off. It's also £10 cheaper

Is a 13amp socket ok? The dishwasher and washing machine had 20amp ones.

Only problem is the fridge socket doesn't have a switch. It has a fuse with switch further up.
It doesn’t need that. It’s plug has a fuse and it is not something you need to switch off

Sponsored Links
13Amp socket is fine. It looks as though it's got a metal faceplate so as long as that's earthed OK (along with the earth receptacle) then you're OK.

Can I put the single socket in and leave it switched on?
Yes.

But why are you quibbling about the cost of an unswitched socket? Compared with the cost of replacing all the sockets it is peanuts. What is wrong with all the sockets anyway that they need replacing?

Last edited:
Is a 13amp socket ok? The dishwasher and washing machine had 20amp ones.
Please elaborate. Never heard of a 20 amp socket.

Dishwashers and washing machines come fitted with 13 amp plugs by law.

Please elaborate. Never heard of a 20 amp socket.

Dishwashers and washing machines come fitted with 13 amp plugs by law.

Sorry its a switch

Also if I put the single switched socket in doesn't that make the Fused one redundant? Is there any need keeping it

Sorry its a switch

Also if I put the single switched socket in doesn't that make the Fused one redundant? Is there any need keeping it

If the appliance plugs in via a 13amp plug and socket, yes you can swap it over.

View attachment 270563
That's what controls the fridge freezer

Can I take that out and replace with a single socket?
Think you need to re-consider using the correct terms.
Or you may get the wrong advice.

The device in the picture in post #7 is not a plug, it is not a socket either. It is a switched fused connection unit. I’m surprised that our resident pedant hasn’t pulled you up on this transgression already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back