Can I run gas pipe through a shop into a flat above?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm doing a new flat conversion above a shop, which I also own. The meter is on the outside side wall of the shop and I'm trying to lay in some sleeves and pipes to cut down the amount of work my Gas safe plumber has to do (partly to save cost & partly because he's snowed under, quite literally!)
The only easy way is to go in through the wall into the shop, up above the suspended ceiling, a straight run of about 6m then up into the flat above to the shut off valve. Can we do it TCS this way? Does it need an extra shut off valve wher it first enters the shop?
There's no way of going directly from the meter into the flat because of the floor and ceiling levels.
Would the pipe have to be ducted right through the shop? If so, how do you get round the bends.
As I say, at the moment I own both properties, but there could be a time wen they are in different ownership, in which case wayleaves would have to be sorted.
Thanks for any help on the subject.
Andy.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you are the landlord for said shop & flat. It may seem innocent to you but what you propose amounts to illegal DIY gas work. Therefore you're unlikely to get advice here. If your RGI is accommodating enough to agree to share the job then I can't understand why he's not advising you.

Thanks for that rebuff. I am the landlord, main contractor, Part P registered spark and have been plumbing since you were probably in nappies (40 years to be precise).
My RGI doesn't know, so I'm doing a bit of research to help out.
It may be strictly illegal gas work but my work is far more accomplished than many RGI's I've come across.
I am not registered because It is not possible to do the training now, without working for a registered firm. However, I do so many different trades it wouldn't be feasible.
I'm an expert venetian plasterer, ran a cabinet making firm for a long time, I restore old concertinas and, in case I didn't mention it, I am a qualified optical physicist with a part time job in medical spectroscopy. So please don't tell me I can't join two pipes together.
If you can't offer advice in the spirit in which it was asked then please don't bother.

And you think your gonna get any more replies after that?

Your the worst sort- a little bit of knowledge and all that. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for any help on the subject.

I am reluctant to give gas advice on an open forum, but for you I will make an exception:

NO you can't.

While I'm on, you sound a bit of a pompous idiot. If you are so clever and multiskilled, why do you have the time, but not enough money, to work outside of your many accreditations.

How do you know if "your RGI" is snowed under, if you haven't spoken to him.

Surprisingly, I'm not pompous at all. That was a bit of a wind up. However, what really annoys me is the way gas fitters seem to think they are so very special. Gas plumbing isn't rocket science, it's just very protected. I'm not suggesting for a moment that you should let people loose without training but there are some in this world that have more than enough experience to carry it out.
BTW, I had a long conversation with my fitter before posting, that's how I know he's busy until January.
I'm not expecting any more replies but please don't give me that "little knowledge stuff" You're just showing your own bigotry with it.

However, what really annoys me is the way gas fitters seem to think they are so very special. Gas plumbing isn't rocket science,

either is Part P registered spark - now f*** off
flipping-the-bird.gif

Hmm. very nice! Have you ever grasped the concept that if gas plumbing (or electrics for that matter!) was done by very intelligent people, you wouldn't need all the training!
now I will f**k off because this isn't a very nice place to be.
Bye.

I am the landlord, main contractor, Part P registered spark and have been plumbing since you were probably in nappies (40 years to be precise).

If after 40 years experience you need to ask how to route a gas pipe, chances are you still need a nappy.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that you should let people loose without training but there are some in this world that have more than enough experience to carry it out.

You haven't had any training as you've said it's -

'not possible' and 'wouldn't be feasible'.

From your original post it seems you aren't someone -
'in this world that have more than enough experience to carry it out'.

That means you are -
'suggesting for a moment that you should let people loose without training'.

I plagiarized this as I thought it might add to the confusion...

" Until 1998, gas installers could achieve certificates of competence through a number of different certification schemes - resulting in an inconsistency of standards across the UK. Those separate schemes have now been replaced by the Nationally Accredited Certification Scheme for Individual Gas Fitting Operatives (ACS).

This means that all operatives are assessed within nationally agreed standards, to gain certificates that need renewal every five years. Assessments are available from some 150 centres around the UK. Each of these has been approved by one of six certification bodies accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS)."

"All gas installation businesses and operatives must be in a "class of persons" approved by the Health and Safety Executive. That currently means they must be registered with CORGI."

This does not apply to DIY work. CORGI, as one would expect, say “could be dangerous" and "likely to be illegal".

Here is the referring Statutory Instrument.
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1998/19982451.htm
The HSE published a complete Fundamental Review of Gas Safety

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/index.htm
In which there is a section discussing DIY

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fundgas.htm

It does say:

DIY installation and maintenance Question 30. Should DIY work be legally prohibited, e.g. by restricting the sale of gas equipment to registered gas installers? Should retailers be legally required to record sales of gas equipment and pass these to a central body, perhaps CORGI? Should any central body selected for this purpose be required to arrange the inspection of gas installation work in any case where the record of sale suggests work will be carried out by an unregistered installer? Should increased publicity on the dangers of DIY gas work be given by (i) HSE campaigns, (ii) manufacturer's warnings, (iii) other means? (HSC Discussion Document 'Gas Safety Review: option for change', DDE14a, Page 50) Recommendation 26

226. We understand concern about the possible risks posed by incompetent DIY gas work, but believe at present there is insufficient hard evidence of incidents to support the introduction of a legal ban. However, we recognise that current statistics might not tell the full story and recommend that further work be done more accurately to identify the scale of the problem, i.e. by refining arrangements for reporting incidents specifically to identify those related to DIY (see Recommendation 9), with a view to reviewing the legal position again (say in five years time).

227. In the meantime, we recommend that increased publicity should be given to the dangers of DIY gas work (possibly funded through industry and the Gas Safety Levy - see Recommendations 7 and 11). This should focus more on legal requirements for competence if DIY is undertaken, and penalties if these are not met. More encouragement should also be given to retailers for providing 'point of sale' information, and equipment manufacturers to include warnings with products.

Analysis of responses

228. Of a total 109 responses to Q 30, 54 supported the principle of banning DIY with 35 specifically against; whereas 44 were in favour of a ban in practice with 47 against (NB some voted just for principle or practice,
others for both). The similar question in the consumer document resulted in 29 favouring a ban with 31 against and 1 unclear. Replies to the public questionnaire showed 285 in favour of a ban with 54 against. The issue was also posted on a DIY Internet web site which provoked a number of responses from those practising DIY gas work; these were against more legal controls but generally supported further publicity, stressing competence requirements for DIY rather than frightening people away from doing it.

Argument

232. Data currently available suggests that a number of gas incidents have occurred over recent years where DIY is directly or indirectly implicated, but, the link is not always entirely clear and in some cases it is possible for other factors to have contributed. At present we do not believe that this evidence is sufficiently strong to suggest that current legal controls (ie for competence under GSIUR regulation 3(1)) are inadequate, and an absolute ban needs to be placed on DIY. If you look at some of the rest of the report, and contributing consultants reports concerning dangers in the home in general, you will read that in the gas arena, CO poisoning is by far and away the biggest issue, and that all gas related accidents in the home are a tiny proportion of the total.

DIY gas work is not illegal and is not a major focus area of the HSE. That's pretty clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back