Can I screw into lower end of rafters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this stuff so thanks for all your help guys! :)
Sorry for the long post!

Summary:
Trying to fit curtains onto a bay window but there is no wall to screw into above, only rafters.

Detail:
There is no wall or lintel above my bay window.
Basically, it's a normal pitched roof and the rafters run all the way to the top of the window, resting on the top of the window.
I want to fit a curtains above it but there is no wall to screw into.

I was thinking of fitting a small beam running above the window by screwing small screws into the rafters, then hanging the curtains from that beam.

At either side of the window are concrete walls to screw into.
But the shelf does need support mid-way along because the bay window corners, or shelf will bend?

Worth noting my rafters are slightly thinner than normal - 1.5 inch x 4 inch.

Unfortunatly at some point in a few years I would need to unscrew all this in order to take the rafters and roof off as part of another project.

Options discounted
- Can't screw into joists in cieling because with the pitch you only get to flat cieling about a foot away from the wall.
- Not comfortable with 'Perfect Fit' blinds because they invalidate the window warranty.

QUESTION: Is it ok to screw into end of rafters or does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks a lot guys :)

Attachments

• BayWindowIssue.png
    BayWindowIssue.png
    528.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Most people would fit a piece of 3x1" timber to the ceiling by screwing it to something solid like rafters, then you can attach your curtain rail to this.

Thanks Catlad, i was a bit worried with it bieng at the last 7% of the beam which i've read you're no supposed to mess around with. people saying ok to screw into beams though, so gonna do that. thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back