Can I spur into and from an Immersion heater switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I wonder if someone can please help me?

I have a plumber / electrician fitting a home booster pump in an airing cupboard for me. This is due to low hot water pressure in a ground floor flat. I've so far had 2 quotes for the job to be done.

Q. Can a fused spur be taken from an immersion heater switch which is also located in the cupboard, and currently wired to the immersion element in the smallish tank.

It's just that the 1st guy who quoted said it could not be done, and quoted to spur from a single 13amp socket in an adjacent room, and wire under the bath to back of the cupboard. This would also involve drilling a hole in the wall in the adjacent room, and wiring through under the bath.

The second chap that I have coming-out to quote and have a look, told me on the phone that you can spur off the immersion switch! So now I'm completely foxed!!

Anyway this guy is coming-out to give us quote anyway.

The cupboard we are talking about currently contains electrics for immersion heater (switch) and a separate shower isolating switch.

Would be grateful of any comments / advise

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If the immersion heater is remaining then you should not supply anything else from this supply.

However if the immersion is being removed then the old supply could then be used to supply your new pump.

What is wrong with a B16 breaker feeding a 13amp Immersion + a 3 amp pump?
Perfectly safe as the total loading equals the supply circuit rating of 16 amps.

Water heaters with a storage capacity of over 15 liters should be fed from their own dedicated supply.

Sponsored Links
I think that was put in the OSG in an attempt to avoid immersion heaters being put on the ring socket ckt :confused: . Bit misleading though I agree.
If a radial immersion heater the circuit has adequate capacity for the pump then I don't see a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back