Can I still use a shower with a System Boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone can help, I just joined a minute ago, not sure if this is the right place, I am looking for advice!

I want to install a Mixer bath/shower tap on the bath,

The problem is, that I'm not sure if it will work, :( :(

I have a Condensing System Boiler - Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 624, which is located in the Kitchen.
It heats up both central heating and water!

This is the shower I brought!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221134443705?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Anyone else have a System boiler, and have a Shower?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Have you got an unvented cylinder ?

Sponsored Links
Boiler heats the hot water, it will have no bearing on the shower. For that type of shower to work correctly will depend on the vertical distance between the bottom of the cold water storage cistern (this feeds the hot water cylinder) and the shower head. Greater the height of the cold water storage above the shower head means better the pressure from the shower.

Depending on your setup, that type of shower may prove problematic. They require balanced supplies (i.e. hot and cold water at the same pressure), otherwise it is very difficult to set and keep the water at a comfortable showering temperature. If cold water is mains fed, and hot tank fed, then the cold is likely to be at a higher pressure than the hot, so you may find shower is either boiling or freezing. Only solution would be to fit a dedicated cold supply to the shower fed from the cold cistern. (Assuming there is adequate height between cistern and shower as explained above.)

Otherwise you would need to look at a 'Venturi Shower'. These use the (higher) pressure from the incoming cold to 'boost' hot flow into the shower thus giving a more balanced supply, or fit an electric shower using mains cold supply. Electric shower would also need an electrician to connect power supply though as needs a dedicated supply directly from the consumer unit (fusebox).

A system boiler means that the water for the rads is sealed in and pressurised - so you don`t have a small feed+ expansion tank on that part of the system . The hot water cylinder you have described/linked to has a feed cistern * somewhere * above it to supply water to your taps - so if you can find it in the flat , near the ceiling in a cupboard - you won`t get that shower mixer to work :cry: BUT if it is fed from a large cistern in/on the roof , which feeds the hot cylinders and cold to baths in the other flats too - then your shower will work :D . And the nearer to the ground floor your flat is - the better the pressure to your shower will be . That`s a basic outline for you . Luckily I`m not watching the football match ;) Just seen that Hugh is not glued to the tv also :LOL:

Cant stand football Nige. Even as a kid when most of the others were kicking a ball about I was usually trying to make something out of whatever I could find! (Still got a garage full of stuff 'that might be useful one day'.... :LOL:

Boiler heats the hot water, it will have no bearing on the shower. For that type of shower to work correctly will depend on the vertical distance between the bottom of the cold water storage cistern (this feeds the hot water cylinder) and the shower head. Greater the height of the cold water storage above the shower head means better the pressure from the shower.

Depending on your setup, that type of shower may prove problematic. They require balanced supplies (i.e. hot and cold water at the same pressure), otherwise it is very difficult to set and keep the water at a comfortable showering temperature. If cold water is mains fed, and hot tank fed, then the cold is likely to be at a higher pressure than the hot, so you may find shower is either boiling or freezing. Only solution would be to fit a dedicated cold supply to the shower fed from the cold cistern. (Assuming there is adequate height between cistern and shower as explained above.)

Otherwise you would need to look at a 'Venturi Shower'. These use the (higher) pressure from the incoming cold to 'boost' hot flow into the shower thus giving a more balanced supply, or fit an electric shower using mains cold supply. Electric shower would also need an electrician to connect power supply though as needs a dedicated supply directly from the consumer unit (fusebox).

Is my shower still possible though? How much is it gonna cost me roughly to seek out what you and others have said?

All I want is a Shower that can be done in 5-10 minutes, be in and out quick!

Easiest and cheapest way to find out if it'll work would be to buy one of those twin shower hoses that go over the ends of the taps, if they work to your satisfaction chances are your tap will work as they are basically the same (mixing chamber)

Easiest and cheapest way to find out if it'll work would be to buy one of those twin shower hoses that go over the ends of the taps, if they work to your satisfaction chances are your tap will work as they are basically the same (mixing chamber)

Used to have one of those, infact it did work, I could get a good shower out of that, even though the temperature changed a little from hot to cold, but it would be for a few seconds to a minute before going back to normal, I only plan to be in and out quick!

You can get that mixer tap with a built in thermostat, more expensive obviously.

Hi, just got the old shower hose out the shed, I tested it out and managed to get a temperature that suites me, but I have to fiddle with the taps a little,

Are you sure it would work? is there a high chance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back