Can I switch this lamp in the bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I've been procrastinating from decorating the bathroom for the last 2 years and now the Mrs is clamping down so I have to actually start planning. :D

I have many queries to follow i'm sure but for now I am wondering if I can change this weird light/shaver appliance we have for something a little more stylish.

BTW When I say can I change the fitting I actually mean can a qualified electrician do the work.

So here is what we currently have:

gif image hosting

png image hosting

I was hoping to be able to have it swapped with something a little funkier like this:

http://www.architectlines.com/lighting/pair-wall-lamps-designed-by-gino-sarfatti-arteluce.html

Would that be possible?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Thats really useful.

So if zone 2 runs from the edge of the tub out for 0.6 meters then thats where my fitting would be (0.4m away from the tub)

And I just need to find a fitting that is IPX4/IPX5 minimum?

Apologies for being so green to this but I'm an absolute novice.

Sponsored Links
each light will be rated different and clearly state where it can be sited based on IP rating.. so just check with manufactures instructions on your chosen product... If buying on internet, you could ask tech supprt.

The new light will need to have its own built in switch

Your existing one has a pullcord to switch it on and off.

Also you will be losing the shaver socket.

The new light will need to have its own built in switch

Your existing one has a pullcord to switch it on and off.

Also you will be losing the shaver socket.

Yeah that's not a problem for me. I'm just concerned that I can actually have someone remove this one and replace it with another.

It may sound stupid but other thatn the ceiling lights I wasn't sure lights would be fitted so close to the bath directly to the mains. I thought this crappy light had some sort of internal battery.

It is double insulated and the shaver point has a special safety transformer in it. It is made to be in a bathroom and close to watery things.

Its your job to make sure that the replacment has similar characteristics - hance the zoning of bathrooms, and a definition of what can go in each zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back