Replacing a downlighter lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help required please! I am a generally incompetent DIY-er and am completely baffled by the down lighters installed in my bathroom. They are Click Fireguard IP65 sealed units and I can see absolutely no way to remove the steel/glass front so that I can change the lamps.

All 3 in my bathroom have now blown (admittedly they lasted 3 years) and we are now literally in the dark trying to replace them.

I have been able to remove the fittings from the ceiling (they are held there by spring clips) after turning the electricity off but nothing seems to budge and the whole unit needs to be sealed. I have found various brochures for the Click Fireguard system on line (http://eleconline.co.uk/images/pdf/Flameguard%20issue%205.pdf) but none seem to tell me how to change the lamp.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
A quarter twist of the lens cap/bezel could be your answer

Sorry but can't seem to twist anything on the fitting - nothing seems to move at all, apart from the glass which has come loose (or was already loose, I don't know). Really need someone who has knowledge of this specific fitting, I'm guessing. Please see the link to the model details.

Post a photo of your fitting. Your link is 44 pages of different fittings.

Sponsored Links
The front bezel unscrews - i.e. the entire metal and glass front of the fitting rotates anticlockwise by a few turns.

The front bezel unscrews - i.e. the entire metal and glass front of the fitting rotates anticlockwise by a few turns.

Thanks. Excuse my ignorance of all things technical but will I be safe using WD40 on an electric fitting as it's not shifting at all when I try to unscrew?

Thanks. Excuse my ignorance of all things technical but will I be safe using WD40 on an electric fitting as it's not shifting at all when I try to unscrew?
Safe enough - but it will ruin the ceiling and anything else in the vicinity.

If it won't unscrew, pull the whole unit out of the ceiling before attempting any repair or shoving oil on it etc.

Can you see a retaining ring that is part of the bezel around the lens? if so this should twist off. But on the IP65 the bezel should completely twist off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back