Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

i am replacing water damaged plasterboard in my kitchen and while i am at it i am going to put downlights in, in my own mind i know where i would like them located but i am not sure how close they can be to the joist, i am using jcc fireguard lamps with 11w dimmable energy bulbs, what does everyone think?

thanks

Brett

Sponsored Links
Hello and welcome.

I'd brace yourself for some negative comments.

Do you mean dimmable GU10 compact fluorescent lamps? They have a pretty poor reputation for reliability and putting them inside fire rated housings won't help that.

Are you aware that this work should be notified to your local building control? Do you realise this will cost a few hundred pounds if you do it yourself?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies

they are GU10 dimmables i got megaman as these were what jcc recommended

as for the part p requirements i am just running the cable to keep my costs down and an electrician is going to do everything else

the instructions just had pictures of good practice showing lamp in the centre of joists and bad practice showing them close to the joists there were no actual measurements saying how close, my calculations show i am about 100mm away

Brett......

Why don't you spend a few minutes on the megaman website and see all the disclaimers and conditions before you can use these 'dimmable' lamps.....

Just spoken to JCC and they have advised not to be less than 50mm to the joists so i am well inside that and actually gives me more movement if i need it

thanks for advise

Brett

Thanks for the quick replies

they are GU10 dimmables i got megaman as these were what jcc recommended

as for the part p requirements i am just running the cable to keep my costs down and an electrician is going to do everything else

If you are going down the downlight route and need dimming then good quality LEDs will be better e.g. Halers EvoLED or Aurora AU-MOD533

Are you sure your electrician will be happy with you running the cable. Check first and don't present it "fait accompli".

i thought about leds after i got these so i will have a look after fitted, electrician is a very good friend he has been round had a look got me cable, explaind what he wants and where he wants it and hes ok with it so roll on friday when i get to pull the old celing (or celings) down tounge and grove on top of plaster board on top of laff and plaster, doing this before new kitchen arrives

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back