Low Energy Downlighter 11w Fire Rated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have found numerous topics, but some quite old and I know how quickly things change.
I have a new kitchen ceiling and am about to cut holes for new downlights.... yup you guessed -
I am after 240v White, Fixed, Fire Rated Downlighters x 8 that will accept Low Energy Bulbs (unsure which way to go CFL or LED, please advise)
I have been advised Aurora, JCC or Megaman? Down want to order them for 11w bulbs to protrude.....

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Why do you want fire rated ones?
I have found numerous topics, but some quite old
Look for the more recent ones, and read about the unsuitability of those sorts of lights, and the difficulties of installing them in kitchens.

Also, you do realise that this work is notifiable? Depending on the attitude of your LABC to Part L compliance they may not give you approval....

(unsure which way to go CFL or LED, please advise)
Neither.

Very helpful as usual ban. We're here to help people, not bully them into changing their mind. If people want downlighters, who are we to change their mind? All it takes is a short sentence on how inefficient and difficult to install they are. But give advice as well, should they still wish to proceed.

They will do the job. £18.55 each from TLC direct (click the image). Available in 4 colours. If you think thats expensive, bear in mind, the retail price of a GU10 CFL is about £7-8, and its a fully enclosed and intumescent cylinder as well. Does it need to be fire rated?

Low energy lamps take a good 2 minutes to come to full brightness.

Steve, thats excellent... and yeah I have read through a few posts, good old BAS "Mr Useful"!!!!!
I like those lamp looks which is great. Difficulty installing them???? I am obviously missing something there...?
Any particular manufactuer better than others?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Low energy lamps take a good 2 minutes to come to full brightness.

That's (to me at least) the main snag with low energy lamps.

Although I did read this on LED lights from a search...

Led lighting saves electricity.

The lighting efficiency of the new high power led light bulbs is more than eight times that of incandescent lights, and twice as high as compact fluorescent lights. Led bulbs also emit a much higher percentage of light in the desired direction. This makes them even more efficient compared to either incandescent or fluorescent for task lighting, desk lamps, reading lights, spotlights, flood lights, and track lighting......

Led lighting instantly acheives full brightness with no warm up time.

Fluorescent lights are dim when first turned on, and get brighter as they warm up. Depending on the temperature and the age of the lamp, they can take a long time to warm up. If it is cold enough they will not warm up at all. Led lights always start at full brightness.

might cost a bit more though??[/b]

Difficulty installing them???? I am obviously missing something there...?
In terms of compliance with every building regulation.

In breaching a loft-facing ceiling, you must ensure you re-seal it against all manner of ingress, protect from fire while still insulating it etc. Fire rated downlights, people think, are the one-stop solution to this, but they are not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back