can I take radiator off the wall?

S

snadge

I have a pressurised system .... can I take a radiator off the wall to re-board and re-skim it or do i have to get a plumber in?

thanks

Sponsored Links
turn BOTH valves off

place a tray or similar under the valve you are going to slacken

drain water

remove valves (use 2 wrenches)

unhook rad

when you replace rad remember to open the valves and bleed
then top the pressure back up ;)

... And make a note of how many turns, and / or parts of a turn it takes to close the lockshield valve to save too many balancing problems afterwards.

turn BOTH valves off

place a tray or similar under the valve you are going to slacken

drain water

remove valves (use 2 wrenches)

unhook rad

when you replace rad remember to open the valves and bleed
then top the pressure back up ;)

thanks Kev :) as easy as that!

can I ask - how close to plasterboard can rads be? we dont want to move the rad if we can help it and the wall is being dot&dabbed (drywalled) then plastered - current clearance is 38mm - im estimating 22mm max for board (9mm), gap between wall/board (10mm) and plaster (3mm) - (9.5mm boards..i know, i know not 12.5mm but we wont go there)
so that would leave a gap of 16mm - would this be suffice?
we just gunna leave fittings were they are and board around em..

cheers

Sponsored Links
close as you like ;)

cheers Kev, really appreciate your help and advice :)

TicklyT said:
.. And make a note of how many turns, and / or parts of a turn it takes to close the lockshield valve to save too many balancing problems afterwards.

what and where is the lockshield valve? is that the name of the opposite valve to the thermostat? - thanks

yes
good tip write the no of turns on that end of the rad in pencil

when you refit it just wipe it off with a wet finger ;)

my dad says it same way to do it on his unpressurised system - i thought pressurized and unpressurized were done diff? all the guides are for unpressurized and for pressure they say to seek a plumber out?

thanks again for your help

Only difference is you'll probably have to top up the pressure when you refill the rad. Good idea to chuck another bottle of corrosion inhibitor in too, you can never have too much but you can have too little!

Only difference is you'll probably have to top up the pressure when you refill the rad. Good idea to chuck another bottle of corrosion inhibitor in too, you can never have too much but you can have too little!

how do you do that? through the bleed valve at top of rad?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back