Can I turn mdf doors into bifold doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I purchased 9mm sheets of mdf, and cut and glued them to make 18mm shaker style doors. It turns out the frame I was going to put them in is old, and for various reasons, isn't square, and cannot be fixed without a ton of headache.

My plan is to turn the current set of doors into bifold doors by joining them together using Hafele concealed mortice hinges:

https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/product...0-for-folding-doors/00000015000023c500030023/

Is this possible? I really, really don't want to waste the money I spent on these doors, and the time spent gluing them. I'm a total novice at DIY, but I'd really like an elegant solution that incorporates these 18mm thick doors using a bifold system of some kind.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to change to a bi fold door because your frame is not square?

Have you considered scribing the doors to the frame instead?

Hey, thanks for the response. I really, really don't mean to be rude, but if you're able to answer just the question I had, that would be great. As I said, it cannot be fixed without much more work. It's not a case of simply scribing the frame.

When someone says they don't mean to be rude , it's means what they say next is rude

I wasn't talking about scribing the frames , I was talking about scribing the doors to the frame , something you will have to do anyway regardless of whatever door system you plan to use if you want them to fit.

Those hinges require a forstner bit do you own one?

Fyi fitting doors to a out of square frame requires a lot of work there is no easy fix , also fitting shaker style doors to a frame that is not square will make it bleedin obvious that the frame is not square

Sponsored Links
It can be frustrating to wait for a response, and then that response be a question rather than an answer. It's predictable, on every DIY forum, that no matter how specific your question, the first response will be never, ever be helpful. You were that person, and that's OK. I was pretty clear that I wanted an answer to a single question, it doesn't require that you have any knowledge about where the doors are going, because that's a separate problem.. I left out "to" in reference to the frame. Scribing won't solve my problem, and I know if I explain it to you, it's just going to invite more questions, and I get the feeling it won't help, since you've posted twice, but still haven't answered the very simple question of:

"Can I turn two pieces of 18mm MDF into a bifold door"

Yes, I own a 35mm bit.

Please don't worry about answering my question.

You were never in, though. You had three opportunities to answer the question, but all you did was waste time. I'm not being rude by pointing that out, you're just a bit of a sensitive old fella who doesn't see how frustrating it can be to ignore a question by concentrating on irrelevancies. The question was simple, it was specific, and it was succinct. It had a single point. It didn't ask if it was possible with parameters, it asked if it was possible full stop.

Let me give you an example of how questions work:

"Can I put attach bricks together to make a wall"

Now, you can answer the question, like a normal person, by saying, "Yes, that is possible, you just need mortar and a trowl."

OR, in your case, you can reply with, "Why do you want to build a wall"

Do you see how only one of those answers is helpful?

Now, if, at any point, you had intended on being helpful, you'd have answered the question about the wall, and then asked why I was building it, but you didn't.

You never, at any point, had any intention of asking the question, you just wanted to make it complex because you're a DIY dude, and you don't have much going on in your life at the moment.

Busted! :)

(Ps. I got my answer elsewhere, it's possible - that's all I needed ot know, now on to research and learn)

Last edited:
You're a dick.

You do know that everybody on here gives there time and knowledge for free , something none of us has to do.

Most people are grateful for our help and answer our questions regardless of how obscure they may seem

And then morons like you come along who are incredibly rude in every post and make us wonder why we bother.

Then we remember that for every moron (you) there are scores of people who appreciate our time and knowledge

You're not the first and you won't be the last....

I'm not being rude by pointing that out, you're just a bit of a sensitive old fella...
No? But you are being ageist, arent you? But then that's all right isn't it, sunshine?

As to "irrelevancies" here are a couple more:

Any MDF door is fairly weak and MDF has poor screw holding powers, so if you hinge one MDF door off another there will be a natural tendency for the second door in particular to droop over time, or for the hinges to pull out. This is why intelligent kitchen designers avoid this approach, or at least limit the door width

If you think that getting one door to fit a non-square opening is awkward, when you put two doors into an opening like that it becomes a tad more awkward to make it work first time. Make that a bifold instead of two separate doors and it becomes even more tricky.

These are "gotchas" which you need to know about.

There was nothing wrong with sircerebus666 's response and he's right, you are a dick!

Good luck drilling hinges into mdf, hope you don't open the door too often

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back