Can I use a 3 pin plug with a Nest Protect (wired version)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a couple of Nest Protect wired smoke alarms, but mistakenly thought that they would be powered by an accompanying power adapter. It turns out they need to be hardwired to the mains.
Is there any reason that I couldn't connect a 3-pin plug and flex to it instead? (with a 3 amp fuse)
(and if so, what is the smallest flex size that would be acceptable - I want to avoid having a fat cable running along the wall to it).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I installed one the other day - the problem with them is the silly power connector...

1709988917130.png

I'm sure someone wiser than me will have the answer, but I don't know how this can conform to our wiring regs?
The cables aren't double insulated and there isn't an enclosure provided, although it does come with a couple of 'wagos'.
I decided to mount the connections in a MF enclosure, with as short a length of non-DI cable exposed as possible.

I know this doesn't help with the..
I want to avoid having a fat cable running along the wall to it.
But for connecting with a flex, I would think about running the flex and making the cable joint in mini-trunking to maintain some double-insulation.
Alternatively, the nest could be mounted over a back box, and the connections made in there?

Is the Nest Protect the same size as a standard back box
I'm sorry, some experimenting may be necessary - the different versions of the Protect seem to come with different back plates.
The one I put up had various holes available to allow for different screw placements.
As the protect also attached to the back plate with a bayonet type action, the baseplate needs to be mounted, so that the protect will end up square on.

Also, using some of the smart features on the protect can be a faff.
Google haven't yet integrated the Protect with their Google Home app, so to enable remote notifications, you also have to install the now unsupported Nest app as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back