Can I use a plastic tundish on an unvented cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just had Brit Gas to do a check on my boiler and unvented water system for a maintenance contact, and they claim that it needs a tundish into a metal pipe rather than the current exit into an open plastic pipe.

He told me what to do, and said I need a 300mm drop of 22mm copper pipe below the tundish.

If I use a plastic tundish is it still complant? All the ones on www.toolstation.com are plastic.

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Polyethylene drainage pipework should not be used,normally copper or with approval, a high temp plastic could be used.

I'm planning on using 22mm copper pipe, it's just when looking online, all the tundish's seem to be plastic.

Will that be complant?

Thanks
Paul

The tundish can be in plastic , most of the ones that come with unvented cylinders , are in plastic , But , the tundishes you are refering to MUST be designed & meant , to be used for the purpose of unvented cylinder safety discharge !! there are some tundishes available that are not for this purpose .

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Just had Brit Gas...............said I need a 300mm drop of 22mm copper pipe below the tundish.

If I use a plastic tundish is it still complant? All the ones on www.toolstation.com are plastic.

It should have been installed with the tundish that was supplied with the unvented water heater or the BBA certification & warranty is invaldated; buy a replacement from the makers. You could get the installer back to rectify it, if you know who it was. The datils should be in the installation documents. I'd suggest you look at the manufacturer's installation instructions for the details of the drain connections, rather than rely on the unwritten suggestions of the service technician.

The drain pipes should be metal. If the T&P relief valve operates it will discharge very hot water that will melt most plastic drain pipes, felt roof coverings and most other things that incompetent installers choose to put in the drain route.

How far is the pipe run before exiting the building?
How many turns does it make on the way?
The pipe work should teminate in one of 4 approved ways.
These are factors to be considered.

HTH

OK thanks all for the advice. I've just emailed the supplier asking for details of the part. I have the installation instructions, and will make sure teh new installation is fully compliant.

Paul

Unless you hold a current G3 certificate, you shouldn't be doing this work!

It always surprises me that BG will come and list faults but rarely quote to bring it up to standard!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back