Can I use a pull-cord switch for a bedside lamp

You put the supply brown into "COM" and the load brown into "L1"

Then, the switch will permit/prevent the current to flow from the plug to the lamp, and when you pull the cord the lamp will go on and off.

the blues should be connected together using an insulated connection that cannot be touched. I am not sure how you will do this in your pull-cord switch, unless it has some spare "parking" terminals.

You can also get a Double Pole switch that has four terminals, and switches both the blue and the brown. these are more expensive.

As Ban says, it is not usual to wire a fixed lamp and ceiling switch in flex from a plug, and we are anxious about the safety of the installation work you are doing in your son's room. You might be safer with a table lamp.

Sponsored Links
The switch I have has only two brass terminals within the switch itself and an earth terminal on the outer casing -

pdcelec said:
Put the live brown into L1, the other brown into COM, and the two blues into L2 ;)

Cunning ploy. Is that OK, PDC?

Sponsored Links
pdcelec said:
Put the live brown into L1, the other brown into COM, and the two blues into L2 ;)

Yes, it'll work, but I'd class that as bad practice

Ive just taken a look at the switch and it does only have two terminals - They are marked as 'com' and '1way' there is also another hole with no brass terminal in it marked as '2way' - maybe I need to get a different switch

burntfingers said:
Ive just taken a look at the switch and it does only have two terminals - They are marked as 'com' and '1way' there is also another hole with no brass terminal in it marked as '2way' - maybe I need to get a different switch

No, you don't need the second terminal unless you are doing the rather dubious work around.

One brown to com, the other brown to L1, get a piece of chocblock and put both blues in it

burntfingers said:

OK. If you are buying another switch a DP switch will do it, though it is not usual and someone may know a neater way to do it..

NOT A 2-WAY SWITCH

? :?: Why do you want the ceiling switch? It would be so much easier without.

pdcelec said:

NO NO NO

you should be asshamed you are giving out totally wrong advice.

the correct answer is that you need to connect the browns to com and L1 and join the blues together with terminal block. However i really feel you shouldn't be doing electrics if you don't have the basic knowlage nessacery to work this out!

well, the lamp I have bought does not come with a switch, or even any cabling. The reason I chose a cieling switch was that there are built in bedroom units in my sons room that run over his bed, so I have hung the switch down to make it easy for him to turn his wall lamp on and off. I was thinking of putting a switch onto the power cable, but this would be very awkward for him to twist around in bed to reach

Although bad practice, electrically, my suggestion would work, and taking that the job is already an abortion, surely it cannot get any worse

Hi Plugwash, I think you are right - Although I thought this was going to be a fairly simple job - it isnt, so I will see if I can get someone who knows what they are doing to help me - and advise me on the right type of switch

You've got the right sort of switch!

Also, what size and type of cable have you used between the plug and the switch and the switch and the light, and what value fuse have you used in the plug?

burntfingers said:
Hi Adam - Thanks for helping out - Im really grateful to all of ou for all your help. Im still not sure though what I need to do to get it all to work properly.
I'm not trying to belittle you, but if you can't understand "Join the blues together, and one brown to each switch terminal" then you have no chance.

Please call an electrician before you hurt yourself, or your son.

I don't know the size of cable or the type, but it's the same cable as all the other lamps in my house. Just two cables, a blue and brown inside. I have used this cable from the plug to the switch and from the switch to the lamp. I have used a 5 amp fuse.

I misunderstood you earlier, I thought you meant to join the blues wires at a terminal. I understand what you are saying now and it makes sense. But I think you are right about getting some proffesional help in. - Thanks for all your advice - it's appreciated.

burntfingers said:
Just two cables, a blue and brown inside.
TWO VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS-

1) Is the switch metal - is the earth terminal on it electrically connected to the body, or is it just there to allow earth conductors to be joined? If it's metal then you MUST NOT use 2-core cable.

2) Does the light itself have an earth terminal? If it does then you MUST NOT use 2-core cable.

I have used this cable from the switch to the lamp.
That's fixed wiring - you're not really supposed to use flex....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back