Can I use a stain over teak oil on my patio furniture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

DIY novice so apologies if this is a painfully obvious question!

I have used teak oil on my timber patio furniture which was left outside all winter and had gone grey and patchy. The table bore the brunt and so I sanded the top to make it all one colour (grey). The teak oil looks good on the chairs (where they are not patchy) but is obviously a lot lighter on the table top now where I have sanded :oops: Can I put something like Cuprinol Garden Furniture Stain in Teak on top to make it go the same colour as the rest of the furniture or do I need to sand the whole lot down and start again?

It is fairly cheap furniture originally from focus and was an deep orange brown colour (once!)

Many thanks

Sarah

Sponsored Links
No, the oil will prevent the stain from soaking in. If it goes on at all, it will be patchy depending on how much gets past the oil.

Next time it has gone weathered, and the surface is no longer oily, you can colour the surface using a Colron Wood Dye before you oil it.

There are some tinted oils available, but the depth of colour will vary in patches with the thickness of the coat, so I'm sure the quality of finish is better if you dye it first.

If you try to sand off the oily surface you will find it very difficult as the oil will clog the paper. It is possible to clean off fresh oil with white spirit, but as soon as it is exposed to the air it oxidises and becomes sticky, then hard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back