Garden furniture restore colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations on the easiest way to restore some colour to my wooden teak garden furniture, which has started turning grey. They are in their 2nd year, last year I protected with teak oil when they still had colour but I'm pretty sure this isn't going to make a different to the grey look?

A bit of googling suggests sanding may be the best way which will be a hell of a lot of work. If that is the only way to do correctly then so be it but wondering if anyone had any success with a stain of some kind which you can just apply with a microfibre cloth? Also seen pressure washing may be an option but would have thought that would leave an uneven colour finish.

Sponsored Links
An oxalic acid based treatment should do the job - this one is pretty easy to use http://www.osmouk.com/sitechaptern.cfm?bookid=Products&chapter=82&page=270

Give it a light sand down then you need to treat the wood with an oil that has UV protection but does not contain biocides (as it'll be in frequent contact with skin etc), I'm going to sound like a blinking osmo rep at this point but their decking oils are a good bet - the darker ones tend to have more UV protection.

That looks spot on and reasonable price. How is that best applied?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back