protecting garden rocking chairs - oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have bought 2 rocking chairs for the garden and would like some recommendations on finishing/protecting them. They are made from Chinese Fir and have been given a coat of preservative to add a ‘natural finish’. No further information on that preservative is given.

The link to the product is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bowland-Garden-Adirondack-Rocking-Natural/dp/B0016OMBR4

They state of their own website and I quote –

“Although this Bowland Rocker has been treated with preservative at the factory, we recommend that the item is treated with preservative or Teak Oil in the Autumn and again in the Spring each year, especially if the item is kept permanently out of doors. Teak Oil tends to be the preferred choice, due to ease of application and rapid drying”

I want to keep the product as natural as possible (no colouring at all) and am a big fan of oils, particularly those that help to prevent outside wood form greying over time. I have used Liberon clear decking oil on decking/fencing etc and like this product. I have never used teak oil before.

1) does teak oil colour (I assume it does) wood
2) if the teak oil colours is there any reason I could not use a clear oil?
3) Could I use the Liberon decking oil?
4) Any recommendations for a clear oil/other suitable products that will not colour, but just enhance the chairs and protect it form UV rays and general weather battering.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back