Can i use Mapei 3240 for bridging gap in timer floor?

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mapei 3240 product spec says it can be used on timber.

The only concern I have is that will it be too runny that it would just keep leaking down into a tiny crevice before it sets. Shall I make a thicker mix?

20230815_185416.jpg

It's basically the upstairs floorboard leading onto a step tread. It looks like some sort of concrete mix was used there previously but because we ripped out the old stairs it's just chipped of a section.

I'm having thick underlay and carpet laid on top anyways so not sure if I'd even feel it? It's about a 6mm height difference. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Also not sure if I should scrape up the existing stuff and start from scratch with the levelling

You'd need a floorer to answer this more fully, but personally I think that laying anything onto planked timber risks cracks over time due to natural movement in the timber, movement due to loading of the joists, etc. I have see screeds laid directly onto planking due just this, although I don't know which product was used. This is why we generally overclad with plywood before screeding - because it neatly sidesteps almost all such issues and saves having to pay for call backs

BTW, if you want to block up small gaps and holes, just use expanding foam and trim it once set. This technique is used for plastering snd should work for floors

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back