Can I use plain acrylic panels on a shower wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi os there any reason to not use a plain acrylic panel rather than a system on a shower wall?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
As it's cheaper and I can get cut to size in 3 or 5mm

It'll look a bit odd (sort of prison cell/70s sci fi feel to it). Joint in the corner is fine, if you have any flat joints in the wall you'll have to try very hard to make them look not cr*p.
Function wise, check the thermal coefficient of expansion of the stuff you're using, make sure it doesn't move too much between 15 and 60 Deg c.

I used decorative ABS panels for the two corner walls of my shower, definitely an option, The third "wall" is a shower curtain and there
is no fourth wall as it is a walk in shower

As already mentioned take notice of the thermal coefficient of expansion.

For what it is worth :-

Fitting a "standard" shower in my cottage renovation was not a sensible idea as proven by the extensive damage to joists, floor and walls by leakage / seepage from the existing shower cubicle amd tray. Hence some lateral thinking was needed for a quick fix temporary cubicle. Eleven years later and the temporary fix is still in daily use.

This rough sketch does not show the re-inforcing gussets along the seams in the tray. Where possible the ABS was heat softened and bent to avoid having a welded seam

shower tray.jpg

Sponsored Links
PS I've not tried the solid (expensive) shower panels yet but have had success with the (relatively) cheap 3m planks of hollow uPVC shower panels. They don't take much leaning on to deform though so won't be ideal in all circumstances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back