Can I use silicone sealer to glue wood upstands to the wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As topic really.... have solid wood tops fitted in the kitchen and I have solid wood upstands to cover the expansion gap/finish the join at the wall at the back. Can I glue these to the wall using silicone sealer? or is there a better product? Reason I ask is that I will be running a bead of silicone along the gap at the back of the worktop anyway to 'bed' the upstand down onto, seal the gap and seal between upstand and worktop and it seemed to make sense to use another couple of beads along the back of the upstand to glue it to the wall.....

edited to add: all the upstands and worktop have been danish oiled (several coats) all over prior to fitting.

Sponsored Links
No, I've never done it but, if I was about to, my first thought would be "Will silicone stick to heavily oiled wood?" Then I would do a test. :) :) :)

For an upstand then the silicon will work fine , it's not as if they are load bearing or anything.
There are gunnable glues on the market but I'll admit to it that I've used silicon at times to simple tasks like this without problems.
Only thing I'll add even though it's of no concern to you is not to use silicon to glue mirrors to walls. I've seen this done and it failed and pulled the backing silver off the mirror and the mirror off the wall!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, yeah I will do a test to see how it adheres, but it should be ok as the oil dries to a sort of 'varnish' finish.
It will save a good deal of messing around to use silicone to adhere the upstands to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back