can i use the cans of freeze spray?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
I have an outside wash house that has a blue plastic pipe coming from under the floor and has a really old tap attatched. The tap has been slowly dripping for ages but recently it has became more of a slow flow which i cannot stop by turning the tap off.
I have tried isolating the water mains from inside the house, but this only knocks the water supply off inside the house, and i cannot find another stopcock anywhere outside (even on the front street) to knock the wash house supply off!

So my thinking wAs.. Could i use the tins of spray freeze on the pipe and take the tap off altogether and replace with a push fit stopcock?
Would this work on mains pressure?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You should be ok to use the spray cans. I have had a similar issue before and found that the out buildings water supply was isolated by turning the neighbours mains water off, could be a shared service?

If the water is running in the pipe then freeze spray will not work - water needs to be static.

If there's enough blue MDPE pipe then clamping off will be the easiest solution

Contact your local water company to ask them for help in locating main cock. Diy freezer kits aren't great for what you intend to do.

Sponsored Links
If the water is running in the pipe then freeze spray will not work - water needs to be static.

If there's enough blue MDPE pipe then clamping off will be the easiest solution
the water in the pipe is just ever so slightly trickling out and Not with any pressure.
There is roughly about a metre of blue pipe exposed before it reaches the tap.

the water in the pipe is just ever so slightly trickling out and Not with any pressure.
There is roughly about a metre of blue pipe exposed before it reaches the tap.
The water is moving so you will never freeze it with DIY cans. You will use several cans freezing MDPE even if water is compleatly static if the pipe is horizontal but a lot of cans if it is vertical!!

As said clamp it.

Had a plumber around today. He couldnt find the outside stopcock either.
The pipe is actually 20mm black plastic pipe and is very rigid so dont think it will clamp!
The plumber suggested just unscrewing the tap from the wall plate (while still under mains pressure) and fitting a new tap. Will get wet but seems like the only option!
Only real problem is knowing what size the thread will be that it attaches to on the wall! Its a really old tap!

This is the offending tap! Please ignore the white/clear pipe that is attatched. That is simply to close the flow off with a plastic valve on the end of it.
Does anyone recognise the tap and what size it is so that i can screw it off and replace?

36478765-C88D-4F30-9192-CBA615A1F8A6_zpse2lkjlvx.jpg

8106CC38-72B7-47F4-BD8F-1183CFD744E7_zpsf4kgnco3.jpg

617EDF22-7F79-441F-93EC-56BB91216939_zpscogpvlxk.jpg
[/img]

Think i might have to buy a few taps of various sizes and hope one of them fits.
This will have to be done while its under mains water pressure.
Surely it can still be done that way, even if i get soaked??

Hell if you are going to attempt that one live mate, you're a braver man than me.....at least have other taps on the same feed running full bore to reduce the pressure.
It sounds like you're fed with black alkathene....where does the MDPE come in?
John :)

no need to get wet, just buy the clamp as has already been said :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back