Can I varnish/hardwax oil on top of a wax finish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently dyed and waxed clear pine doors but the finish i have isn't really sealed. When i have been hanging the doors i have noticed dirty marks appearing where i have been puting the hinges and knobs on.

Can i put something on top of the wax to give a better seal against dirty marks etc?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Amy

Sponsored Links
No. Anything you put on top of wax will be unable to stick to the wax. When wax finishes get stained this way antique dealers call in "patinated"..... :rolleyes:

Scrit

Thanks Scrit. I've rubbed them with wire wool and it seems to have made the finish a bit more 'sealed'. I'll see how they go and worse case scenario i have to remove the wax and start over.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about using a wax formulation with a percentage of carnuba wax? Carnuba is a very hard wax and is less likely to discolour than straight beesawx.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back