Can I vault the ceiling on a hipped roof extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I hope someone can shed some light on this, long story short our extension is now having a hipped roof rather than gable.

Can anyone tell me if a hipped roof can have a vaulted ceiling? Or even be partially vaulted up until the hip comes into play?

We were having a gable with a vaulted ceiling until planning came into the equation, so now we are set on a vaulted ceiling but I am struggling to find any images or if it is possible with a hip.

My builder is away at the moment and I am eager to get some homework done so I know my options.

Thanks guys hope this makes sense

Sponsored Links
Just to confirm, I am not a builder and won't be doing this work lol, I am just after some tips.

Thanks

Thanks mate

I did come across this site but thought that my roof would be a completely different construction as its a first floor.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Don't compare a traditional cut timber and tiled roof with some poxy garden shed!

It is possible to vault a hip roof but it is likely to involve complex propping and steelwork.
You would need to get it designed.

We built one last year - vaulted lean-to partial flattie with a hipped corner. It required a (timber cladded) steel across the room with a 100mm x 100mm prop running off the steel up to the hip junction. Oh and a bloody heavy timber and steel compound flitch beam too.

If you read my reply noseall I said it was perfectly possible and referred to an image of it being done. I didn't "compare a traditional cut timber and tiled roof with some poxy garden shed" so wind your neck in.

If you read my reply noseall I said it was perfectly possible and referred to an image of it being done. I didn't "compare a traditional cut timber and tiled roof with some poxy garden shed" so wind your neck in.
Roger. Wound in! :eek:

Hi Danil,

Unfortunately, the thread is from last year but that is an interesting site you recommended.

Do you realise that this is a UK based DIY site?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back