Vaulting small extension cieling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Not sure if this should be in this section or building section..

I want to vault the ceiling in a small extension and put velux windows in. I have vaulted a ceiling before but only to raise it slightly into the eaves to give me a higher ceiling. This time I need to remove all of the ceiling. I am not sure on how to do this. The roof at the moment is a small lean to built 10 years ago. Am I going to have to strip the whole roof or is there something I can do to vault the ceiling adding in extra support where required??

help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Assuming that the original roof is staying?
Biggest problem therefore is spread.
I'd start by fixing collars high up and also from wall plate to the opposite rafter as low down as possible to still accomodate the vaulting , so you should end up with a sort of X frame of collars.
Then setting out your vault onto ply 18mm min but better still 25mm fix these to the collars and rafters. This ply can then be covered in exmet or lath depending on your choice then plastered.
The velux is easy really, fit normally into the rafters above and then form a "box" below to carry the space to the plaster line.
Hope this makes sense and I've understood what you want.

A lean-to roof does not have spread issues like say a duo pitch fella.

I would ensure that the pole plate (at the rafter top) is adequately supported and that the wall plate (rafter bottom) is secured with holding down straps.

Also check that the rafters are adequately birdsmouthed onto the plate at the low end.

Sponsored Links
Opps missed the part about it being a lean to. Does this mean you will end up with in effect half a vault i.e. with the high point close to the high point of the rafters or are you going for a complete arched ceiling?

Sorry,

Have been away for a week just got back and read the posts.

Yes I want it to be fully vaulted ie no flat ceiling at all.

many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back