Can I vent a disused fireplace through suspended floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know old fireplace/hearth questions are talked about on here a lot but i don't think this question has been answered, or if it has, not comprehensively.

I have taken out the concrete hearth of an old disused fireplace, in preparation to re-lay the original t&g flooring throughout the room.
The fireplace is bricked and boarded up and has had a vent installed since being boarded up (probably in the 1970's).
Despite this there are signs of damp coming through the wallpaper (wallpaper will be removed eventually).

When i dug up the hearth, the soil and rubble was very damp and there were signs of plant growth (small roots etc).

I plan to dig out the rubble and soil to create a good air space. The rest of the suspended timber floor is well ventilated.

Instead of venting the chimney stack via an internal wall vent (as is currently the case) can i make use of the well ventilated suspended timber floor void and vent the chimney through the floor by removing the hearth completely and having the base of the fireplace fully open to the void below the floor?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I know old fireplace/hearth questions are talked about on here a lot but i don't think this question has been answered, or if it has, not comprehensively.

I have taken out the concrete hearth of an old disused fireplace, in preparation to re-lay the original t&g flooring throughout the room.
The fireplace is bricked and boarded up and has had a vent installed since being boarded up (probably in the 1970's).
Despite this there are signs of damp coming through the wallpaper (wallpaper will be removed eventually).

When i dug up the hearth, the soil and rubble was very damp and there were signs of plant growth (small roots etc).

I plan to dig out the rubble and soil to create a good air space. The rest of the suspended timber floor is well ventilated.

Instead of venting the chimney stack via an internal wall vent (as is currently the case) can i make use of the well ventilated suspended timber floor void and vent the chimney through the floor by removing the hearth completely and having the base of the fireplace fully open to the void below the floor?

You need through ventilation and the negative V's positive pressures associated would not give you the ventilation you need, drawing from the sub floor alone - i.e. you still need it open at the top. This is of course depending on what the actual problem is. Poor quality initial build i.e. lack of DPC in the stack is often to blame and nowt to do with through draughts. Other problems is saturated masonry i.e. hygroscopic salts etc.

OK.
I intend to vent at the top too, of course.

So with venting at the top, it's not the worst idea in the world to vent through the floor space? Given that the floor space is very well ventilated already.

Yes - will check DPC in the stack as well.

Thanks.

OK.
I intend to vent at the top too, of course.

So with venting at the top, it's not the worst idea in the world to vent through the floor space? Given that the floor space is very well ventilated already.

Yes - will check DPC in the stack as well.

Thanks.
Venting through the floor will provide a stronger through draught, yes.

Sponsored Links
Yes, sounds like a good idea. I'd just fit a couple of air bricks to communicate with the void though, rather than leave it open ,as you might get birds etc ending up down there..

Yes, sounds like a good idea. I'd just fit a couple of air bricks to communicate with the void though, rather than leave it open ,as you might get birds etc ending up down there..

A mesh at the chimney would be a better way to keep birds out completely, than preventing their access from the stack to the under floor area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back