Can I work on gas burner.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening. I've got a new job as maintenance engineer and I was asked to look at an industrial gas oven. Huge thing. Anyway after resetting burner lock out 6 times and it still locked out, my shift partner opened up the burner which is fitted on slide rails, removed the combustion tube and cleaned off the soot from spark electrode and flame detector probe. Simple enough job. Put all back together and tried to start oven. Burner lockout again. Long and short of it, I said we shouldn't be doing this as we are not gas trained let alone gas safe. He said it's ok as we are not touching the gas valve. Can someone clarify this as I'm not happy doing this although what he did was easy enough. It will be alright, we always do it is not a good defence in court in my opinion. Can someone link me to gas safe laws for industrial gas works please.
TIA.

Sponsored Links
Ask your manager to confirm in writing that you are legally allowed to work on it.

See Lee’s post.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
An industrial oven will be out of the scope of The Gas Safe Register, therefore no requirement to be a member of a class of persons, however you are still required under regulation 3 of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations to be competent to carry out work on gas appliances.
Competence is defined in the regulations as holding formal qualification/training.

For that application, IGAS or manufacturers approval would be needed to carry out work.

Pulling the burner from the oven in a manner which isnt part of how you operate the oven and removing the blast tube would imo be classed as carrying out gas work.

Last edited:
No you cant legally work on it, tell the owner to do it and see what reaction you get then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back