Can it be done - UFH spreader plates and tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed heat spreaderplates between floor joists and installed wet UFH. I took care to stabilise the floor as much as possible with noggins and aluminium roof plate straps adapted to size to hold the joists as an additional measure.

I have placed 18mm t&g chipboard P5 flooring on top and am just about to overlay with 6mm aquapanel ready for a uncoupling matting and tiles with flexible adhesive and grout. And then..... in seeking advice from the matting manufacturer they helpfully supplied the following response...

“By installing wet underfloor heating in between joists, it is not possible to construct the floor to British Standards, and therefore would not be suitable for a tile/stone floor covering.”

Their point being “caution raised on this type of assembly as it typically cannot be constructed in line with guidelines and recommendations for tile and stone coverings. Normally all board edges must be supported by joists or noggins with additional noggins inserted to comply with the screw fixing requirements. However, the inclusion of underfloor heating pipes can make this requirement difficult to achieve, therefore they are usually left out, which can lead to stability and rigidity issues of the floor.

New timber bases should be constructed with noggings between the joists. Fixings are required to both the joists and noggings at a maximum of 300 mm intervals. All junctions between boards should be supported by noggings or joists.”

Have other people installed this format of substrate and tile with UFH and encountered issues or is it just a case of being cautious and thorough in installing the substrate
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think part of your post might be quotations, but this is not clear. Use the "edit" button to put quote marks round anything that is.

If you then select it and click the I button it will also go into italics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back