Can my Neighbour do this

you say your house is forward by how much
a wall in front off his house is restricted to 1m without planning permission
front means forward off the principal elevation [front face off the house]

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, I'm not sure if my original drawings were clear enough as some people have mentioned extensions and trespassing but there isn't any cases of that.

I've redone my drawings hopefully this will make it more clearer, I've done a couple of top down and viewed from the side for the current and proposed works.

The boiler is a combi boiler not sure it's a flue think it's just a vent.

The blue line shows the boundary line if you imagine this going from point to point from the rear to the front.
With the issue being the proposed wall in the second pic going down the middle.

My house is 3 stories high and the rear garden is on the second story where as the neighbours is 2 stories and their rear garden is at ground level.

No plans were shown and when the neighbour asked about it originally I said do what you want as long as you don't build over my side of the boundary.
When I asked the builder he said that it's fine and it's not my boundary line so it's ok for them to build there and fobbed me off, even though my land plan shows that it is the boundary line.

Last edited:
If the question is can the neighbour build a wall on your land (without your permission) then the answer is no.

You need to get Council involved sharpish if they've started building!.

Next door have stolen your land, it should be built on their side of the boundary.

Sponsored Links
Buy a builders string line - 50m one will be a couple of quid.

Fix it on the boundary at the very rear of your property, and then run it all the way to the boundary where the drives meet at the front.

Assuming your drawing is correct and the boundary line is straight, you have now defined your boundary.

If any of their above ground wall building is beyond the string line onto your side, immediately ask them to stop building - via a solicitor if needed.

perhaps some real world images? maybe even google streetview might helpo?

Tried to look on Streetview and Earth but due to the way the houses are the image is just blurry in between the houses and the bit I'm trying to highlight.
Streetview just snaps between the right hand side of my house and then the left hand side of their house and any view of the gap is obscured by a their hedge.

Hence I had to do sketches instead

Tried to look on Streetview and Earth but due to the way the houses are the image is just blurry in between the houses and the bit I'm trying to highlight.
Streetview just snaps between the right hand side of my house and then the left hand side of their house and any view of the gap is obscured by a their hedge.

Try bing maps, I often find this higher resolution than google maps.

or take your own photo...?

Bing doesn't zoom enough and im not sure if I take a photo it will give accurate view of the whole boundary end to end.

If anyone needs anymore clarity of where stuff is please ask but the latest drawings I did are pretty accurate scale wise.

So if we do determine that this wall shouldn't be built as it goes over my side of the boundary, what do I do next?

The walls already gone up about 3/4ft with a couple of layers to be added to the height.

Does this proposed driveway and surrounding wall need planning permission ?, I've checked the council website and nothing has been logged.

Should I have been notified in writing or shown plans beforehand or something ?, the only comms I had with the neighbour was that he was planning on this build and I said it's fine as long as it doesn't go over my boundary.

Are there any laws/rules to blocking off access down that side of my house?

iff these are ex council house there may be a covinant preventing this
as i said earlier restricted to 1m if in front off the house

Your neighbour can't build a wall on your land. Not sure what else there is to discuss? Get legal advice asap. Get them to stop!

You need to act quickly.
Even an unanswered email to thee council could be seen as starting to object

They can't build on your property.
When did you move in? Them? Any estate agent stuff still on line?

At the end of the day, the wall is getting higher as you've spend a week or so drawing diagrams when you should have been speaking to the neighbour.

Every day that wall will get higher and thus more expensive to move and rebuild, thus your neighbour is likely to be less inclined to do this.

A simple photo from the front of your house showing the work in progress would have probably sufficed to be able to visually see if there was any trespass, but you seem to be unwilling or unable to do this.

Speak to your neighbour and raise your concern now that the builder has crossed the boundary. Wait for their response. If they dispute this you need to speak to a solicitor - the council/planning will not care.

Your home insurance may cover the cost of a solicitor if you have legal cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back