1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Can my Neighbour do this

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Braddy07, 14 Aug 2020.

1. kingandy2nd

kingandy2nd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    oh yes, I see what you mean re the wobble - I stand corrected, but I guess the op is now into territory where there has already been a change in the boundary at some point in history

2. Sponsored Links
  3. wgt52

wgt52

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Me thinks the plan the OP has posted is either Land Registry or copies of the council plans from the property search. The thick, overdrawn lines are "guidance" not accurate from such people. The OP needs a copy of the original plans for his property and a site plan without any overdrawn markings unless such are dimensions. It doesn't help that such plans rarely have boundary measurements shown.

IMO the wall does look like a 'land grab' by the neighbours and now, not inexpensive to resolve.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As said, it is free-hand drawn, to highlight the boundary. Really what is needed is a copy of the original drawing with just the thin line on it.

The drawing appears to show the thick line nearer to the OP's neighbours house, than the OP's house. Without any written agreement from the OP, agreeing to moving the boundary, the neighbour had absolutely no right to claim the extra land as his and certainly no right to start building a wall on the OP's land.

The OP needs to sort this out immediately, without delay. The longer he delays the greater the ill feeling it will cause between neighbours.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cdbe

cdbe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    An alternative to all out war may be for him to convert to a single skin for the section alongside your property, with a couple of additional supporting piers/planters on his side for stability. They'd have to render your side of the wall. You'd lose 100mm but still have access for maintenance.
    I can see why he's done it and although I'm a complete "Englishman in his castle" type myself if he'd explained what he was doing and why (and done it as a single skin) I may have accepted it, especially with a nice free garden wall thrown in.

But don't hang around as already said - if he fills that cavity with concrete it'll be a lot harder to sort out.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. mattylad

mattylad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And its a bank holiday this weekend, if he's doing it himself he will be trying to finish it off this weekend.
    Get round PDQ, read the riot act and get it stopped now!

8. Braddy07

Braddy07

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The plans I posted was the original plan given when the house was built as I've lived in it since new as part of the house purchase, up until now there's never been any modifications or changes to any structures until this new wall and driveway being built.
    I downloaded a plan from the gov registry website but that was really basic and didn't show anything new.

Is there some sort of more detailed plan I can obtain and where from?

I managed to have a word with the builder today and he said the section of the wall that runs parallel to my house will remain at that height and maybe they will keep the section that's on the driveway the same too or maybe put one more level on it depending on how it looks.

Due to the rain it's kind of stopped play for him but I'm going to try and have a word with the neighbour this weekend as I've not seen him come home all day and ask him to remove the higher part of the wall near the gate so it's the same height as the lower step wall.

Failing that if he doesnt agree to lower that wall I'll have to get the council/surveyor/legal involved.

Does this kind of build need planning permission to do?

9. big-all

big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    only above 1m assuming the front requires planning
    or if theres a covenant placing a restriction on the deeds its not allowed unless they can remove the covenant

Last edited: 28 Aug 2020
  10. wgt52

wgt52

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Go and see your area's (County) Highways Office. They are probably best to have an original site plan of the road and houses on it. You may have to pay them for a copy but I'm certain they will help.