Can only get 1/4 inch of new key in lock from outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had new keys cut, the new one will only go into the lock from the outside 1/4 of an inch, it works fine from the inside.

The old key works inside and out.

UPVC Door - eurolock

Has anyone any ideas what's happened?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo lifesaver and welcome :D :D :D :D

no key on the other side!!!
trying same key both sides one side then the other in succetion!!!

try cleaning any burr with a wire brush

try old keys after the new key to rule out a lock problem

try moving handles and oiling mechanism including oiling keys before insertion :D :D :D :D

a very small squirt of wd40 into the outside cylinder should cure the problem,its probably a bit dry and the new key will be not be as worn as the original and wont slide in as easily.

Sponsored Links
Hello Everyone - and thanks for the welcome. What a fantastic website!

Unfortunately my 'old' key is now 90 miles away with my son who is on holiday for 2 weeks, I locked the door with the old one and handed it to him, safe in the knowledge that the new key worked in the inside so it was ok - that'll teach me!

First thing I tried was the WD40, followed by silicone spray to no avail, I'll have another go today, and will try the oil trick.

At least I can lock myself in! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back