Can plasterers cope with curved integral coving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930s house that has integral wall to ceiling coving. By this I mean that there is a gradual curve with no exposed lip to but the skimmed plaster up to.

None of the plasterers I've spoken to (3 so far) say they can repair or re-skim it (being too difficult). They recommend adding a picture rail and papering the ceiling and curve up to the rail. This is a pretty big compromise.

Can this be done by a professional or am I expecting too much?

Surely if the curve itself is sound the skim can be feathered in?

Sponsored Links
Does the coving have designs (patterns) coming proud from cieling to walls. Or is the coving an actaul curve with no designs (patterns) ?

It's a completely smooth 90 degree arc from the wall to the ceiling. The arc begins about 8 inches from the ceiling.

The whole of the upstairs is done this way. A 1930s design style I guess? It would be interesting to know how it was originally done.

Yes it can be done in many ways. I have done one myself but it takes alot of time to do. This results in higher plastering costs. What i done is i done the cieling and curve in one go. Down about 7cm onto wall (passed the curve). Then i applied thin PVA onto plaster meeting to cieling to wall. This created an non-high-suction area of which to work the two jioning plasters into each other. Though, some areas were a bit dodgy, as it is very difficult to do. What i did was once all plaster was dry was, i filled with filler with a trowel on curve and let dry. Then once dry, i sanded down to a perfect finish. Though i must explain that the price had to be high due to abvious reasons.

Sponsored Links
Its possible like thirdeye says, Ive done loads of them and they are a pain especially if the curve is all around the room but you can break it up around picture rail level and blend in like what 3rdeye says.

My boy `s done a couple of rooms in our house like that ;) Not bad for a learner :LOL: But his Father in law`s been doing it since the 60`s. How much to do and how far from Sussex........If you really can`t get someone in Hants.Sounds nice, I`m a fan of Deco....any other features btw.

hampshire_rob said:
Surely if the curve itself is sound the skim can be feathered in?

no problem for a decent spread with a well worn trowel.

just roll it in baby. ;)

Thanks for the advice guys.

Usual 1930s stuff. Quite a few 135 degree corners in the rooms (again, hard to plaster internal corners straight). Keeping the deco theme going where possible by keeping the doors and bacolite handles etc.

Cheers for the option Nige F. I may PM you when I get round to having the work done.

I`ve got some Bakelite light switches somewhere :idea: .....square like modern ones (not the round crabtree face fitting)..all doubles ...any good for your house.....if so I`ll dig `em out .......new, btw ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back