Can somebody explain in simple terms what I need to do for my door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I have footings up to DPC level:

(Link to image: https://i.imgur.com/8QNI0Y4.jpg)

Rightly or wrongly, I didn't take into account the door because we hadn't fully decided on the internal layout so it's simple two leafs of brick, 100mm cavity all the way round.

Now I'm having real trouble understanding the detail of what I need to do?

So, imagine I'm 5, what do I need to do / what are my options in the area where I position my door? (Which is likely to be the furtherst away wall in the pic)?

Haven't done the oversite yet, so still plenty of scope to change things etc.

I was thinking of using a former with cavity closer for the window, is there an equivalent for doors?

Sponsored Links
Right, I have footings up to DPC level:

(Link to image: https://i.imgur.com/8QNI0Y4.jpg)

Rightly or wrongly, I didn't take into account the door because we hadn't fully decided on the internal layout so it's simple two leafs of brick, 100mm cavity all the way round.

Now I'm having real trouble understanding the detail of what I need to do?

So, imagine I'm 5, what do I need to do / what are my options in the area where I position my door? (Which is likely to be the furtherst away wall in the pic)?

Haven't done the oversite yet, so still plenty of scope to change things etc.

I was thinking of using a former with cavity closer for the window, is there an equivalent for doors?

Eh?

What are you actually asking about 'the door'? Are you on about the door opening in the new work?

Sponsored Links
If you’re having a screed:
Leave as it is, pour your slab, then take out the inner skin bricks where the door is and screed up to the outer skin adding the perimeter insulation

If your finished floor is the slab:
Keep the outer skin as it is, take out the inner skin bricks (top 3 courses) where the door is, add returns from inner to outer skin, do your hardcore, insulation, slab etc, slab extending to outer skin at door.

OK. Whaddya wanna know?

Literally everything! I see Notch has commented on my other thread, so I will review that - but I obviously want to put a door in, but I'm not at all grasping what I do with the cavity, the oversite, floor level etc. I dunno why, I just can't visualise it at the minute.

If you’re having a screed:
Leave as it is, pour your slab, then take out the inner skin bricks where the door is and screed up to the outer skin adding the perimeter insulation

If your finished floor is the slab:
Keep the outer skin as it is, take out the inner skin bricks (top 3 courses) where the door is, add returns from inner to outer skin, do your hardcore, insulation, slab etc, slab extending to outer skin at door.

Right, cool - I'm definitely going to screed it. So I move my inner skin bricks, put in a cavity closer that can take screed (I noticed Kingspan mentioned this, with a minimum depth of 65mm which makes sense) and just straight up go over it? How do I fully support it?

Main thing for the minute is that I can crack on as I thought - I'd seen some references to your second method and was starting to worry a bit.

Literally everything! I see Notch has commented on my other thread, so I will review that - but I obviously want to put a door in, but I'm not at all grasping what I do with the cavity, the oversite, floor level etc. I dunno why, I just can't visualise it at the minute.

Well its good news! You have bricks on the inner leaf.

We always leave room (75mm+) for a floor screed so that you can carefully marry the floors in later on. Working from FFL down;
75mm screed

Polythene layer

100mm Celotex insulation.

100mm Floor slab

1200g polythene DPM

25-50mm snad blinding

100mm minimum compacted hard core.

Build the extension complete with door opening (minimum 3 brick from the corner) then remove the top course of bricks in the door opening, line the trough with DPM and screed right into the door opening.

EDITED: beaten by 23VC doh!

You're all absolute stars! (+notch on the other thread) Wouldn't stand a chance taking on this project without this forum.

Right, far happier now though I'm still a bit unclear on how I screed the gap without it all going wrong?

PS:

The insulation can either be positioned under the concrete slab or under the screed. Our default setting is under the slab unless otherwise requested.

PS:

The insulation can either be positioned under the concrete slab or under the screed. Our default setting is under the slab unless otherwise requested.

I wonder how that effects thermal efficiency, since it increases thermal mass.

Ive done it both ways, but due to doing underfloor heating so often tend to go over the concrete slab with insulation

What sre you actually building and are you getting building regulations approval :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back