Moving a front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm considering moving my front door out by a few feet, but not entirely sure how to do this.

image1.jpeg

My neighbors door is like this:
image3.jpg

The lintel is already in-place so shouldn't need to have to consider this.

A new door will be purchased to fit the different dimensions.

So, my thoughts are to lay 2 rows of bricks to build the entrance up slightly and then fit a new door on top of this. I'm not sure what I need to consider in terms of thermal bridging, or putting DPC down on the current entrance floor area.

The wall on the right is a cavity wall that extends a reasonable distance inside the house before going to a single brick.

Would I need to insulate the current concrete floor?
DPC also?
Building control?

Could I just plaster the wall right up to the door (as currently is)?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The difficult bit is ensuring you detail the damp and thermal bridging issues.

The walls that are external, will become internal once the otherside of the new door frame.

You either need to cut a vertical slot and put in veryical dpc, or cut a 50mm slot and insulate with a cavity closure.

Im not sure if either options creates structural issues.

Or you could tank the walls and fit foil faced plasterboard on battens, with a vertical dpc between plasterboard edge and door frame -not considered best practice, but probably fine and maybe an easier diy option. Dont directly plaster the existing wall with bonding if you arent cutting a slot in brickwork, any damp ingress will show on plaster.

Ah, I see

I probably need to do a bit more research on the damp issue. I wouldn't be too keen on cutting into the walls, but i like the tanking idea.

Thank you for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back