Can somebody help me with my Fiat Punto please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Fiat Punto, 1998, 1.2 that has caused me nothing but trouble ever since i bought it early this year.

I basically have to travel further to go to work now than what i used to and i've noticed alot of problems now i've been in it longer.

Here goes....

I cannot pick up any speed ( I don't expect miracles in a 1.2 ) but even when im joining the carriageway i just cannot pick up speed.

It will not be in a low gear It shouts and screams at me to change gear even when im sitting in a que of traffic so i have to then go up in gears quickly. I have noticed it now judders and rattles when i am doing 50/60mph and my steering wheel and gear stick shake like crazy.

My wheels make a tinny rattling sort of sound if i am driving over 40mph and if there is any sort of dint in the road my car chucks itself around and it's very hard to control (i have no power steering either)

This morning has worried me the most though. I was reversing out of my parking space and it cut itself out (almost like it stalled) Then when i turned the engine on and tried to go I had no Rev's or acceleration what so ever yet my engine was on? I then turned it off and back on and it seemed to work but put up a fight to go anywhere.

So basically am i driving a death trap? are these problems all related? and can anybody point me in the right direction with this?

Thanks

Kim

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry to say Kim that Punto's of this era were particularly dreadful, and suffered all sorts of engine management and cylinder head gasket problems, together with catalytic converter failure.
Anyway, I suspect that a coil pack is breaking down, hence the misfire at 50+ mph, and I also suspect that a device called the throttle body is playing up when you report having no power. I would be surprised if the yellow engine management isn't on in this situation though.
These punto's were very prone to wandering if the tyre pressures weren't exactly spot on, but there could also be other issues such as shock absorbers, suspension joints or springs too.
I have to urge you (though thats dead easy sitting at a lap top) to not spend money on this thing - there will be one problem after another. In fact, I won't accept these cars for repair now, and haven't done for years.
Lets see what others say before you decide what to do.
Cheers John :)

Thanks ever so much for replying. :)

I agree with not spending the money to get it fixed as all I've heard since i've had the car is how rubbish they are! I suppose you learn from your mistakes but i just keep choosing the wrong cars! haha!

Out of intrest what fairly small cars out there at the moment are good reliable cars?

I've had a 1995 Fiesta that rusted to pieces and a 1993 Clio that the clutch went on. I've not owned a car longer than a year yet! :(

You've just asked the million dollar question - and the answer is, how much dosh do you want to spend?
There are loads of good motors out there, but it is also a complete minefield - cars are so easy to 'tart up' to look good - for a week or two.
Anyway, as an example, I recently bought a Citroen Saxo 1.1 for a friends 18 year old. It had 2 previous owners, full service history, 32k miles, registered in 2002 for £1200 - below book value, so it can be done.
There's no such thing as a marvelous make, but some are better than others. VAG (VW, Seat, Skoda) are good, Toyota, Mazda, Honda likewise - I actually quite like the newer Hyundai or Kia offerings.
I avoid Fiat and anything French with a high mileage or modifications, and definitely anything that has come from a rental company. At the moment I'm running 2 Nissans (06 plate Micra, 09 plate Note) as well as others.
Know what I'd recommend? A K11 Micra (thats the rounded shape Noddy style). Loads about, cheap to run and repair and many have very few miles on.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I fit's something small you want, Polo, Lupo, Golf for cheap servicing and reliability.
Every car has it's problems, but generally VW/Audi/Skoda are cheap on parts, easy to work on and don't cause much grief.
Be wary of the 1995 - 1998 polo range as these are known to have problems with the fuel injection. Although not a hideous expense, if it runs a little ropey when you test drive it, stay away!

Thanks for the advice :) I always liked VW Polo's and Golfs and SEATs but they're expensive at the moment even for old ones! I also like pug 206's too but im not so sure now!

Japanese cars are holding their value at the moment too which isnt so good for me as i havent got the funds to buy them!

i was thinking about finance on a 04/05 plate.

And stay away from anything french unless you know a very good auto electrician and have deep pockets!

What about newish Fiesta's?

Like i said before i did have a 1995 one that failed its mot due to rust but have they improved their rusting issues with the newer ones?

My boyfriend also works at vauxhall in the parts department and has contacts with other parts companys so i don't have many problems picking up parts i do need at cost price.

Thanks

Kim :)

The newer Fiesta's are generally ok rust wise, but they aren't as well protected as they could be..(full set of brake pipes on a 51 plate :eek: )
however there are loads about and you can't compare them with a 1995 model.
I'm sure the BF could keep a special look out for that special trade in for you...loads of Corsa's about too!

Im going to have a look at some of the used car places around here tomorrow.

It would make sense for me to get a corsa but for some reason i despise the car! I've never owned one but i hate them! :confused:

The vauxhall that my fella works at do get trade in cars but they ship them off to auctions and used car dealerships and the staff never get a look in!

Honestly i love the fact i can drive and can do as i please but it's just been one big expensive hassel since i passed my test! I need a lottery win :D

Get a copy of your local Autotrader and see whats about in your area....all car traders are looking for a good mark up and there's no such thing as a 'bargain' from them, so a good private sale is the way to go.
Don't forget you have to get rid of the Punto too....
Take BF along for support!

I'm probably a wee bit late but puntos are really bad for the coils. Yours probably has a pair on it. they are not expensive but its got to be cheaper than another car. We sell them at work for around £35 each and take minutes to fit. Its the 3rd fastest moving coil we have. the wee fiat engines are usually bullet proof so head gasket is a remote possibilty. Do the coils leads and plugs as this is cheaper than stripping the engine. On that note gaskets are very cheapfor these engines anyway so its all down to labour.

Good luck

Jim :D

Thanks for the reply.

As i was driving my car yesterday the front driverside tyre came off the rim and it's not the first time this has happened but with the front passenger side.

I have decided to get rid! i have to travel further to and from work now and im scared my car is an accident waiting to happen!

I have found a micra with airbags powersteering remote locking anti lock brakes etc on a 52 plate (registered 2003) done 39000 miles! My bf found it at work. got a really good deal on it and we're just waiting for them to MOT it as it only had a few months left.

I hope this is the right move. :) it's exciting!

Excellent little cars, the Micra K11!
They have very few faults usually, occasionally the timing chain rattles but you'll know about that if it happens, and the relays to the left and front of the battery need to be kept waterproof but thats about it!
Parts cheap from motor factors, and regular oil changes needed as it only holds about 3 litres.
It'll probably need front discs and pads by now, together with new rear wheel cylinders but both simple and cheap to do.
Wishing you all the best with it!

You really do know your stuff John! :D

You are right! The guys at vauxhall said it will need new break pads and discs and an oil change! i aparently will also be needing some new front tyres but i have a few months left on these ones. Now all i need to know is when i can get the car! :) cant wait!

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back