Can someone help identify what this floor is for vinyl tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to put down some LVT in my kitchen, most probably Polyflor. The house was built in the 1860's but I've no idea when this floor was put down, certainly it's over 25 years.

I'm trying to figure out what it is and whether it's a damp-proof barrier. It's definitely (I'm 99% sure) a concrete base but it looks very dark so I'm trying to figure out what's on top of it.. mastic asphalt/bitumen or vinyl perhaps? The finish is smooth and consistent across the whole floor with no patches that I remember so it looks to have been poured or painted on. Not the best but pic 1 and pic 2 should hopefully demonstrate it. The diamond pattern is just the impression from the carpet tiles currently down.

My next problem is that upon checking it over with a spirit level the floor seems perfectly level in the "x" axis as it were, but in the "y" axis it seems to be on a gradient. I took a 90cm spirit level, put a shim under it until it was level then measured the gap from the end to the floor; it seemed to be consistently 1cm over a couple of measured areas of the floor. Using slope = rise/run that's an angle of 0.6°/1.1% slope. Will this be a problem or will it need levelling?

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks both. Assuming it's flat is the slope going to be a problem with LVT? This is the difference between a whole world of pain and a relatively relaxing job :).

If you could point me in the direction of a suitable prime and screed that would also be appreciated. Polyfloor aren't too helpful:

Mastic asphalt is impervious to moisture and as such
should have a primer coat and a 3mm thick surface
underlayment applied. It is important to ensure that
the smoothing underlayment is of a type
recommended for use on asphalt floors and that a
suitable primer key coat is applied if so directed.
Never apply luxury vinyl tiles and planks direct to a
mastic asphalt subfloor.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You have to screed it'd or LVT
Floor needs to be fairly flat. Don't have to be be level but would be I've if it is.
Depends what you can get hold of
Ardex
F ball
Uzin
Tile adhesive - level flex

Cheers, much appreciated. I've been off doing some research on the back of your post for the post couple of days. Was originally looking at Ardex stuff but Polyflor seem to recommend F. Ball in their literature.. so assuming no DPM is needed my list so far is:

1. Clean: Styccoclean C140 5 litre x1 (assume one tub's enough), ~£19
  2. Prime: Neat Stopgap P131 5 litre x1, ~£35
  3. Screed: Coverage of 5mm (not too sure how deep I should go given the slope of the room?): Stopgap 128 5 litre x5, ~£40 + Stopgap GreenBag 25kg x5, ~£68
  4. Adhesive: F46 5 litre x1, ~£30
  5. Tiles: Polyflor Expona Classic Limestone 7173 x4, ~£260 (undecided whether to just go for the thinner Camro 2334 equivalent at ~£171 though, my kitchen doesn't have much traffic)

= ~£450 + other tools (trowels, spike roller, power whisk attachment etc) as required

Does that sound about right?

Cheers, much appreciated. I've been off doing some research on the back of your post for the post couple of days. Was originally looking at Ardex stuff but Polyflor seem to recommend F. Ball in their literature.. so assuming no DPM is needed my list so far is:

1. Clean: Styccoclean C140 5 litre x1 (assume one tub's enough), ~£19
  2. Prime: Neat Stopgap P131 5 litre x1, ~£35
  3. Screed: Coverage of 5mm (not too sure how deep I should go given the slope of the room?): Stopgap 128 5 litre x5, ~£40 + Stopgap GreenBag 25kg x5, ~£68
  4. Adhesive: F46 5 litre x1, ~£30
  5. Tiles: Polyflor Expona Classic Limestone 7173 x4, ~£260 (undecided whether to just go for the thinner Camro 2334 equivalent at ~£171 though, my kitchen doesn't have much traffic)

= ~£450 + other tools (trowels, spike roller, power whisk attachment etc) as required

Clean with de greaser from screwfix , cheaper
Use f ball stopgap 1200 pro screed
You be better with F48 or 46 really
Camaro will be fine.
That's really cheap for expona though.

Great, cheers. Guess you mean the no nonsense degreaser stuff, good price by the looks of it. The 1200 screed looks to make my life easier which I'm all for. The Expona was from http://www.ukflooringonline.co.uk/ - no idea how reputable they are, it was just one of the first prices I found to quickly sum stuff up.

Pretty happy with everything bar the slope in the floor issue now.. I can live with the slope, I've never noticed the whole time I've lived here and I'm not moving any time soon, but I'm guessing the levelling compound won't play ball and will flow and pool at the bottom. Stopgap 1200 and Ardex NA both state a min of 3mm and max of 6mm depth over asphalt - I've roughly 25mm difference which is a little bit over that..

Any last words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated - removing the asphalt I guess it's the best solution but that complicates the job, a lot, and probably unlikely to happen

edit: decided to give F. Ball a call. They said they don't have any products that would help but did suggest trying to hold back some of the liquid in the Stopgap 1200 to make it a thicker pour which shouldn't flow as much letting me smooth the existing slope off without leveling. They said rather than using 5L of liquid try using 4.5L or 4L but no less than 3.75L.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back